The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf went to the dealer for her 60k tune up, they said that she also needed to change her Dist cap/rotor, and her Fan belt. She refused on both, I told her I could do her cap/rotor, but I was wondering, what is the fan belt?? I know that theres the alternator/accs belt, prolly an A.C. belt, and a power steering belt maybe? Are they tryin to rip her, or is there really a fan belt, also, how hard is it to change the AC and the alt/acc belt? tons of labor involved? or is it a simple belt tensioner you just loosen, then pop out both belts, thanx

Sam

oh, and yes, I haven' bought the haynes manual yet, but will soon...:p

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
they were probably just referring to the main serpentine belt (aka fan belt) although in our cars the fan is run by the electrical system. Older engines (like a big block chevy) used to have their fans run by a belt, hence the name "fan belt."

At 60k, you should replace the two belts on the car just a preventive maintenance measure.

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Fan belt is easy as hell, all you need to do is loosen the alternator belt tensioner bolt, and the belt comes loose, take it off, get a new one, put it on, tension it to specs or just tighten it and you should be set.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
See , thats the difference between a dealer 60K and a good shops 60K , the Cap and Rotor should have been included in the 60 K !!!!! Cap , Rotor , plugs , air filter and fuel filter are required on the 60 K , as well as transmission fluid , coolant change , brake check and flush , oil change, and general checkover ...!!! As for the "Fan Belt " ... If they called it a Fan belt I would talk to the Manager , and have them show you which fan the belt drives , since they have no fan to drive , the belts ( there are 2 of them ) should be done around 60K , at that time they get cracked and should be replaced , stop going to the dealer for service , find a good independent repair shop !!!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SHAWN said:
See , thats the difference between a dealer 60K and a good shops 60K , the Cap and Rotor should have been included in the 60 K !!!!! Cap , Rotor , plugs , air filter and fuel filter are required on the 60 K , as well as transmission fluid , coolant change , brake check and flush , oil change, and general checkover ...!!! As for the "Fan Belt " ... If they called it a Fan belt I would talk to the Manager , and have them show you which fan the belt drives , since they have no fan to drive , the belts ( there are 2 of them ) should be done around 60K , at that time they get cracked and should be replaced , stop going to the dealer for service , find a good independent repair shop !!!!!
hahah I know~!, I yelled at my gf for takin it to the dealer, especialyl since I can do most of that stuff in my backyard.
I dont' really trust anyone around here (queens ny) but I am gonna have to find a trustable mech. for big jobs eventually tho....but thanx guys~! I'll prolly get to the belts and cap/rotor this or next weekend:D

sam

·
Erect Member
18,126 Posts
when you do that alt belt, lemme know if you have a problem with the belt only gettin "so" tight. im having a problem KEEPING my belt tight. the alternator will only allow so much tension on my belt so im curious if its just mine or a common problem. thanks man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts