The Nissan Club banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you have done it for a while yes, the block will have rusted the cooling passages to not conduct heat properly, you have screwed up there. It often leads to overheating at higher highway speeds. New engine about the only way to fix that.............

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have done it for a while yes, the block will have rusted the cooling passages to not conduct heat properly, you have screwed up there. It often leads to overheating at higher highway speeds. New engine about the only way to fix that.............
Changed it to coolant 50/50 but still heating a bit, the heating as I said earlier is not alarming. One level above the normal level +- >230f when I monitor with scan tool via obd port.

The background to this, overheating was not the case earlier. But engine was too cold which was giving me horrible gas mileage so I investigated it and found the previous owner removed the thermostat because of the hot climate which we live in. So I replaced the tstat back, boiled it in cooking point to find it's opening at the right temperature before installing; that's the time I started to encounter overheating problems.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If it ran too long with straight water the damage is done and your description of it is perfect. At first it is never alarming, until owner cannot get it to stop.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,547 Posts
Just curious why if it can run "too cool" without a tstat, but that it overheats with a tstat that opens. You could try removing the water control valve (that switches block cooling in and out) and then put a lower temp tstat in, say 165'F or 170'F, that opens sooner.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts