The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
There is no substitute.
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had this altima for about a year and I was thinking about changing the tranny fluid. Ive heard alot of people say if your car has high mileage and you dont know the last time it was changed not to change the tranny fluid becuase it could just make your tranny worse... I was wondering if I should change it, what type of fluid to use and how much, and is it easy enough for a novice to do(following the haynes manual)?
-Thanks

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
For all you know you could have small metal shavings all throughout your tranny fluid. No offense to anyone else, but you SHOULD change your tranny fluid every 30,000 miles or so.

The best thing you can do seeing as you do not have to change this to often, take it to a place that can hook it up to one of the T-Tech machines that vacuum seal the tranny and basically suck out all the fluid from the transmission and puts in all new fluid. Shouldn't run you more then about $75.

Well worth it IMO in keeping your transmission healthy. Make sure they replace the gasket too.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
The gasket you don't have to change, just if your car has 100,000 miles you might want to if needed. The gasket is around the tranny pan. You don't have to remove the pan to change the fluid, but just for preventive you can replace the gasket.

I edited my original post, I don't remember if our AT have a filter now?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
when i change my oil again, i wanna get one of those external tranner filter kits from summitracing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
PorscheKid said:
Ive had this altima for about a year and I was thinking about changing the tranny fluid. Ive heard alot of people say if your car has high mileage and you dont know the last time it was changed not to change the tranny fluid becuase it could just make your tranny worse... I was wondering if I should change it, what type of fluid to use and how much, and is it easy enough for a novice to do(following the haynes manual)?
-Thanks
Follow the advice of deadrx7conv, and you should be OK. See link below:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35567&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
432 Posts
Cheers mate.....

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
yes tranny pans do have magnets in them to collect metal shavings in the liquid. thats why the best thing to do if you got the time is to actually drain the tranny fluid take off the tranny pan and totally clean the inside of the pan. gets rid of all the dirt and build up metal.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
mine is about to hit 70k, and never changed it before.

think it'll be safe?

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Yes, change you ATF fluid. Like deadrx7 says, it's never too late to start maintainence. But with so many miles, a drain and refill may not cut it. If you're going to do the service yourself....

- Buy a new tranny pan gasket.
- Drain the pan. Drop the pan, clean the magnets, clean the screen, replace the pan gasket. Put the pan back. Refill 3 3/4 qts.
- Drive.
- Drain the pan and refill with 3 3/4 qts.
- Drive.
- Drain the pan and refill with 3 3/4 qts.
- Drive.

But it'll be better if you can find a tranny shop that can suck out all ~10 qts from the system at once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts