The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I bought my 2008 Altima from wanted me to let him change the trans
fluid and the brake fluid. He wanted $89 to do the brake fluid and I didn't bother to ask him about the trans as the stuff is $28 a quart. I told him (without losing my temper) that I was an 80 yr old Korean Vet on a fixed income and I couldn't afford such nonsense. Do any of you out there advise this? I figured if I let him do this I was old enough to be half as stupid. Was I wrong? Thanks for the help. I long for the days of the 48 Ford coupe............
Catch

·
Registered
38 Posts
Really? Sounds like the kind of guy to offer to replace the "summer air" with "winter air" in the tires and then charge $10 per tire.

I wonder WHY he wanted to change the brake fluid. Well, I am not saying brake fluid is NEVER changed, but take a minute look for yourself. The bottle is easy to find and the cap just unscrews. Is it slimy black? Does it stink badly? Gritty? NO? OK, put the cap back on and leave it alone. I have 220,000 miles on my 08 and never had to do that.

The CVT fluid is about as hard to change as the oil (and even easier on the 3.5). I bought quarts on eBay (not from an eBay store) from a guy who no longer has a Nissan and didn't need it. Always use OEM, never buy an aftermarket. That is one thing not to go cheap on. On eBay or websites, there's lots for sale around $15. Get at least 6 quarts and give someone a few bucks to do it. If you were my neighbor, I could do it in 15 minutes for one large pepperoni with stuffed crust and two sodas.

Sorry someone is trying to do that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually not bad for dealer pricing.

On the brake fluid - a while back, DOT 3 went away, and we got environmentally safe fluid that does need to be changed. A lot of people seem to think the right interval is about 100,000 miles, but could be different depending on the way car is used.

The CVT fluid is suggested at about 60,000 miles, but many service earlier due to fears about the transmission overheating when the fluid's chemical breakdown starts.

Where you service your car is up to you, and I don't like to use dealers, but I don't think this one was necessarily trying to rip you off.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My experience at my local dealer is opposite for the CVT fluid change.

I am now at 90,000km on my 08 3.5SE (near 55,000 miles) and asked the Service guy if they had the pump to do a CVT fluid flush. He went in the back to ask a Tech and then hemmed and hawwed regarding them not wanting to do this (it is not necessary, says he). He said the fluid is 32$ per litre here (in Canada) and it might take up to 13 litres to replace all that is in there...... so I shake my head and walk out. I'm trying to give them a job for what I suspect would be a 450-500 dollar touch (not with the BS about 13 litres required, more like 10 or 11 I expect), but they don't want to do it.

I changed the brake fluid myself when I replaced the brakes and rotors myself. 90 bucks to do it with a good quality brake fluid is not out of order at a Dealership, but, is it necessary - that is the question......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts