The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Nissan Altima S. I went to change my CVT fluid the other day, got under the car and low and behold there was no drain plug. After some research I found out that not all of the pans came with plugs. I ordered a new pan with a drain plug thinking that will make it easier in the future to change my fluid. However, I only ordered 6 quarts of fluid to do the initial drain and fill. Is that going to be enough fluid or do I need to get more?

·
Registered
103 Posts
To do an Drain and Fill you will only need 5 Quarts. Adding more fluid then you take out is actually worse for the car then anything as the pump will have to deal with more fluid and the will not circulate property.

According to Nissan the CVT is a "Sealed" Unit and should not be touched. Being a Service Tech for Nissan I can tell you its BS. We use that saying so that you take it to us to sell you the CVT Fluid change and wack you with a Diag and Consult Charge to test the fluid and then labor which will come from 200-299 depending on the dealer and the service department.

In laymans terms the CVT isnt a sealed unit and you can do it yourself, hell any person in automotive should be able to do the work to change the fluid out. The reason why Nissan says its a 'Sealed' unit is that this way no customer or shop adds the wrong fluid besides NS2 and causing a failure then the person will come in saying the CVT is shot and needs replacement since we extended the warranty to 120K. Hell I have seen tons of people coming in complaining of a whine and or some noise and or they screwed up the fluid and wants a new tranny. Well most of them its all in there head since they heard about the noise and a free new transmission and also you get those people who will get ATF and put it in there and or Valvoline CVT Fluid and top it off and or bring it to a shop and they use this fluid and 10K miles later and the CVT Fails and they want a new one.

So in essence its Nissan way of floating on the gray area in saving cash and CVT Replacements and for you to only take it to Nissan. I talked to people and they have told me they drained and filled there CVT correctly and it actually did fail and needed a replacement, according to Nissan I should not do the work and tell him/her we cant offer your warranty but thats BS and I did the work as I needed the flat rate hours.

But to answer your question its not a sealed unit and you will need only 5 Quarts! There should be a 3/8 Hex Bit Head on the bottom that you will need a 3/8 Hex Extension Bit From Autozone, Pop that, Let it Drain and there you go

I recommend that you do the drain and fill once and do 5 quarts and drive it for a week and then do the drain and fill a 2ND TIME, YES A 2ND TIME, this way you can slowly get more of the old fluid out without doing a flush and its easier and just as good in my opinion.

If you need a new pan and you have to install it, if you do not DO IT YOURSELF, take it to a reputable local shop to do it, off the books from Nissan. Please be careful and then use the 6 Quarts to make up for the lost fluid in the bottom of the pan when you take it off. If you take the pan off you will need to thread lock all the Pan Bolts and torque to 24 FT/LBS and also replace the Gasket on the pan and then also clean the gasket surface off the tranny as well.

I am more then certain its a the 3/8 Hex Bolt so your fine. just look around if your looking from the front bumper being 12 and the rear 6. Its at 7 o clock to 8 o clock and just undo the bolt, drain and fill with 5 quarts, wait a week and do it again. ALSO Clean off the 3/8 Bolt going in to the pan itself, its MAGNETIC and collects metal shavings in the fluid that the CVT Wears off, Just wipe it and thats it.

You should all be fine so you will NOT need a pan but please use 5Q and then do it a second time and use 5 Q. The capacity on the Altima is I think 12.7-12.8 Quarts if I remember correctly.

Just please use the Nissan CVT Fluid ONLY nothing else, and also NEVER mention the you or some other shop did the fluid swap. We cant tell really unless the fluid is to good for the high amount of miles, we go by the deterioration rate we get from the Consult to see what the number of the Deterioration Rate the computer gives us and we base our service of the CVT on that

So never mention it to a Nissan Dealership. Do it right and do it TWICE. And lips stay sealed as well. The Nissan CVT really isnt a sealed unit its BS.

Hope it helps

PS If it is Really Sealed Unit and No 3/8 Hex Bolt, Which I have never seen personally before its always there and I have done a ton of CVT Fluid Changes it should be there, if it is NOT, Please SAVE YOUR MONEY AND RETURN THE PAN OR CANCEL THE PAN YOU JUST BOUGHT! PLEASE DO NOT BUY A SECOND ONE. Buy your NS2 Fluid. Take it to a Local REPUTABLE Shop, or a Valvoline (Just be on them and watch everything they do) get them to evacualtor and evaculate the fluid just like a oil evacualtor and evacualte the fluid from the fill port (All 6 Quarts) and tell them to take it out and then you watch them put the 6 quarts in of the NS2. This is WAYYY Cheaper and also less hassle and less chance for failure or problems. This way you dont crack a bolt, not get a good seal and also just all around easier.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions

·
Registered
147 Posts
got quoted yesterday for flush and new CVT oil at a Nissan Dealership for $350

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
got quoted yesterday for flush and new CVT oil at a Nissan Dealership for $350

most lube places will do it for about $200. they've been out long enough now, and along with the fact most manufactures are using them, that you can safely go anywhere to get it changed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the CVT fails under Nissans extended warranty (they extended the warranty last time I checked) and you have dirty fluid according to the data/Nissans consult scan, does it void the warranty? There is no real time that you HAVE to change the fluid, every dealer tells you something different .... i.e not change it at all, some say change it at 80,000mi(for example). Or is it all independent to each vehicle or service tech/dealer who inspects?
Maybe theres more info about this but haven't found it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
for all but the premium maintenance schedule, your supposed to check the fluid at regular intervals (30, 60, 90, 120 and so on) and change if necessary. it does not have a specific mileage for the fluid to be changed at. so long as your checking the fluid when your supposed to, then you would be fine. the premium maintenance schedule, which is for extreme driving conditions like excessively high or low temps, towing etc; calls for 60k change.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 08' Altima 2.5s. I am planning to DIY cvt fluid change when the car will reach 60K miles. So far it has only 38K. On my last engine oil change I observed transmission drain pan trying to find a drain plug/ bolt. As some members has already reported, my cvt also does not have the drain bolt (it should be located at the bottom of black drain pan). I found the filler plug on the left side of cvt, pointed toward driver side wheel. I am sure this is not a drain plug. So, my question to those, why done cvt fluid change by themselves and has a similar style drain pan, as mine: do I need to remove whole drain pan, or try to pump out cvt fluid through side filler plug? Any advice/ experience will be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently changed the fluid in my altima and i stripped three screws and i had the torque set at 8 lbs its this common

To do an Drain and Fill you will only need 5 Quarts. Adding more fluid then you take out is actually worse for the car then anything as the pump will have to deal with more fluid and the will not circulate property.

According to Nissan the CVT is a "Sealed" Unit and should not be touched. Being a Service Tech for Nissan I can tell you its BS. We use that saying so that you take it to us to sell you the CVT Fluid change and wack you with a Diag and Consult Charge to test the fluid and then labor which will come from 200-299 depending on the dealer and the service department.

In laymans terms the CVT isnt a sealed unit and you can do it yourself, hell any person in automotive should be able to do the work to change the fluid out. The reason why Nissan says its a 'Sealed' unit is that this way no customer or shop adds the wrong fluid besides NS2 and causing a failure then the person will come in saying the CVT is shot and needs replacement since we extended the warranty to 120K. Hell I have seen tons of people coming in complaining of a whine and or some noise and or they screwed up the fluid and wants a new tranny. Well most of them its all in there head since they heard about the noise and a free new transmission and also you get those people who will get ATF and put it in there and or Valvoline CVT Fluid and top it off and or bring it to a shop and they use this fluid and 10K miles later and the CVT Fails and they want a new one.

So in essence its Nissan way of floating on the gray area in saving cash and CVT Replacements and for you to only take it to Nissan. I talked to people and they have told me they drained and filled there CVT correctly and it actually did fail and needed a replacement, according to Nissan I should not do the work and tell him/her we cant offer your warranty but thats BS and I did the work as I needed the flat rate hours.

But to answer your question its not a sealed unit and you will need only 5 Quarts! There should be a 3/8 Hex Bit Head on the bottom that you will need a 3/8 Hex Extension Bit From Autozone, Pop that, Let it Drain and there you go

I recommend that you do the drain and fill once and do 5 quarts and drive it for a week and then do the drain and fill a 2ND TIME, YES A 2ND TIME, this way you can slowly get more of the old fluid out without doing a flush and its easier and just as good in my opinion.

If you need a new pan and you have to install it, if you do not DO IT YOURSELF, take it to a reputable local shop to do it, off the books from Nissan. Please be careful and then use the 6 Quarts to make up for the lost fluid in the bottom of the pan when you take it off. If you take the pan off you will need to thread lock all the Pan Bolts and torque to 24 FT/LBS and also replace the Gasket on the pan and then also clean the gasket surface off the tranny as well.

I am more then certain its a the 3/8 Hex Bolt so your fine. just look around if your looking from the front bumper being 12 and the rear 6. Its at 7 o clock to 8 o clock and just undo the bolt, drain and fill with 5 quarts, wait a week and do it again. ALSO Clean off the 3/8 Bolt going in to the pan itself, its MAGNETIC and collects metal shavings in the fluid that the CVT Wears off, Just wipe it and thats it.

You should all be fine so you will NOT need a pan but please use 5Q and then do it a second time and use 5 Q. The capacity on the Altima is I think 12.7-12.8 Quarts if I remember correctly.

Just please use the Nissan CVT Fluid ONLY nothing else, and also NEVER mention the you or some other shop did the fluid swap. We cant tell really unless the fluid is to good for the high amount of miles, we go by the deterioration rate we get from the Consult to see what the number of the Deterioration Rate the computer gives us and we base our service of the CVT on that

So never mention it to a Nissan Dealership. Do it right and do it TWICE. And lips stay sealed as well. The Nissan CVT really isnt a sealed unit its BS.

Hope it helps

PS If it is Really Sealed Unit and No 3/8 Hex Bolt, Which I have never seen personally before its always there and I have done a ton of CVT Fluid Changes it should be there, if it is NOT, Please SAVE YOUR MONEY AND RETURN THE PAN OR CANCEL THE PAN YOU JUST BOUGHT! PLEASE DO NOT BUY A SECOND ONE. Buy your NS2 Fluid. Take it to a Local REPUTABLE Shop, or a Valvoline (Just be on them and watch everything they do) get them to evacualtor and evaculate the fluid just like a oil evacualtor and evacualte the fluid from the fill port (All 6 Quarts) and tell them to take it out and then you watch them put the 6 quarts in of the NS2. This is WAYYY Cheaper and also less hassle and less chance for failure or problems. This way you dont crack a bolt, not get a good seal and also just all around easier.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts