The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Some quick questions regarding charging phone in car.

1. What's the reasoning of buying a "Car Charger" vs. just plugging in the Lightning cable into the USB port? Are there any advantages?

2. When using the USB or Car Charger, do they cause any strain on the electrical system, if used all the time? Is one better or less straining the other?

3. I'm assuming it's ok to use any Apple Lightning MFI certified cable?

I'm planning on just using a cord in the USB slot in the car. I just ordered an extra one on Amazon.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't tested it, but I've heard that just using the USB port is a significantly slower charge.

If the car is running it shouldn't cause any problems. If you just have it on 'ON' or "Accessory" it will drain your battery of course. The newer models do have a feature that shuts off automatically after a certain amount of time, even from On or Accessory, to save your battery. I'm fairly certain (though not quite 100%) that even with the adapter plugged in no power is drawn while the ignition is in OFF.

It should be. It's not really the cord that would be a potential danger, but the adapter that converts the power, and the danger would be to your device. You usually only have to worry if the output is greater than what your device is designed to take. It's not likely that the output would be greater unless you have an old device, and if the output is less then what your device takes, it will charge slower, and maybe get a little hot, but it's not likely to be damaging unless you keep it on for quite an extended period of time.

·
2013 Altima 3.5 SV no nav
811 Posts
Hi guys,

1. What's the reasoning of buying a "Car Charger" vs. just plugging in the Lightning cable into the USB port? Are there any advantages?

2. When using the USB or Car Charger, do they cause any strain on the electrical system, if used all the time? Is one better or less straining the other?

I'm planning on just using a cord in the USB slot in the car. I just ordered an extra one on Amazon.

Thanks guys!
I've tried both and notice no difference in charging time. Also, there is no "strain" at all on the electrical system, this is tiny little draw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

Haven't noticed much of a difference between charging my iPhone 5S via USB vs car charger though the car charger appears to charge the phone slightly quicker.

I've had my share of Non-Apple cables in that they stop functioning after a short time.
Better to pay more for an Apple certified cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts