The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been much debate on the "missing 15 HP" between the Maxima vs. Altima.

Aside from gearing, the main differences seem to have been the restricted exhaust on the Altima. This being a negligable difference, has anyone compared the 2 ECU's side by side? If the ecu's do match, then the main difference would have to be the Eproms. This being said, has anyone tried to put Maxima eprom into an Altima ECU? This would definitely be a cheap modification.

If anybody has a the .bin dump of the Maxima eprom, I'd like to do a comparison.

It's not that hard to socket an ECU and pop the Maxima chip in there (assuming of course these ECU's even have eproms)!

·
X-Mod
6,895 Posts
Someone posted once that their dealer would flash the Altima eprom with the Max code under the table for $70. I haven't worked up the nerve to check into this yet. Need to pull a tech aside. Otherwise, I believe the code is encrypted somehow so you can't just dump it and check it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Altimat said:
Someone posted once that their dealer would flash the Altima eprom with the Max code under the table for $70. I haven't worked up the nerve to check into this yet. Need to pull a tech aside. Otherwise, I believe the code is encrypted somehow so you can't just dump it and check it out.
$70 to reflash? So they ARE compatible, and they DO have eproms! :cool: This is promising.

I doubt the encryption. Even if it IS encrypted, there are always ways around that...:p

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Called Mossy nissan in Oceanside, CA and although the guy I spoke to was quite elusive, however I was able to find out that the part numbers are different for the 2 ECUs.

I have no idea if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part #'s

Yes, part numbers will be different because they're for different cars. I'll wager that the ECU internals are the same (especially if the connectors match) except for the eproms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
I asked to see a digital picture of each, and the guy said that isn't conclusive.
I call SHENANIGANS on the guy....

Now break out the brooms!

If the ECU motherboards match, then they're interchangeable with the right eprom.

FYI: I've been rebuilding and modifying DSM ECU's for years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
greengod_mike said:
For us new guys whats an eprom ?
Eprom == Chip

It's a microchip that's been soldered onto the board that contains fuel/timing maps and other ECU info needed to run the car.

G

·
From what I hear, there are some motor parts that are different on each car. I was told that the the voltage from the O2 sensors are different because of the design of the exhaust system and the air/fuel mapping is a little different. I would guess that other things would be the same. I am sure that by the end of the year, someone is going to develop a high performance chip.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
pcsgrp said:
I am sure that by the end of the year, someone is going to develop a high performance chip.
JWT's already on it.
Jay

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pcsgrp said:
I was told that the the voltage from the O2 sensors are different because of the design of the exhaust system and the air/fuel mapping is a little different. I would guess that other things would be the same.
Exactly my point... those subtle differences may be the culprit for those missing ponies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.