The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I wanted to know where the cvt fluid should be on the dipstick when the fluid is hot. I noticed that there are two notched areas and an etched hash area on the dipstick. The book doesn't reference where the fluid level should be Hot or Cold.
Also, does the 08 altima 2.5SL have a drain plug to drain the CVT fluid?

Thank You.
Brea

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
What an interesting question. I've obviously never checked mine, or I would have asked myself.

I have no answer to your first question.

As to your second; I think the general consensus is "doesn't matter" because this is one thing best left to Nissan. But, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What an interesting question. I've obviously never checked mine, or I would have asked myself.

I have no answer to your first question.

As to your second; I think the general consensus is "doesn't matter" because this is one thing best left to Nissan. But, I could be wrong.
Why should it just be left to nissan? It's not any harder than a normal tranny fluid drain and refill? Or is it just too hard to use a different fluid nowadays....

It's okay to do your own maintnance. Just make sure you fill it up in the between the notched area when it is all warmed up and ready to go. Here is a very nice video to explain what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1opzOM6qSfk

You don't have to drop the pan, because the 07, 08, and 09 models all have a drain plug. Just drain and refill, you should be fine. Make sure to use Nissan NS2 or NS3 CVT fluid ONLY. Buy it from ebay, it's cheaper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Long time lurker/occasional poster and yes, I know I'm bumping a 2 year old thread, but since the same question applies to me, I figured it was worth a shot.

I own a 2011 SR, and I just did my 2nd drain/fill of CVT fluid. Did the 1st one about 18 months ago, with no issues, and due to mileage, wanted to do a 2nd one over the weekend. I drained around 5.5 quarts(there was a small spill when I took out the drain plug initially). I measured into an old beer pitcher and replaced the same amount as was drained into the pan. Took it for a drive, check the dipstick and all seemed fine. Using the attached image, my fluid level was to the right(high) side of the cross hatch.

Today I was driving with the cruise on, about 75mph. I noticed a very slight bump in RPM's -twice- while the cruise was engaged. Probably 200 RPM's. Roughly from 2200 to 2400, and then back down to 2200. 1st thing I thought of was a transmission slip. The car has never done this before and I just changed the fluid. When I got to work, checked the fluid level again and it's at the same spot--the right side of the cross-hatch on the dipstick .

My question is this: did I overfill the fluid a bit? If so, would that cause a possible slip? I've only driven the car twice since the drain/fill so maybe I'm being paranoid, but figured I'd ask here since I always check this forum when I have questions.

**EDIT** Yes, I used NS-2 fluid...so there's no confusion. Apologies for the multiple images, I can't delete the one.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The proper place is anywhere in the crosshatch area. Too high can get air into fluid to cause problems. The notches are the cold fluid range.

Sure your paranoia just hasn't got you second guessing the car unlocking and locking the convertor clutch? They do it all day long but usually not noticed but you will if looking for it. Every time cruise goes into accelerate the rpm should bump up maybe 200 rpm at unlock until the speed is satisfied then it drops back down 200 as the convertor clutch locks back up. Normal if that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The proper place is anywhere in the crosshatch area. Too high can get air into fluid to cause problems. The notches are the cold fluid range.

Sure your paranoia just hasn't got you second guessing the car unlocking and locking the convertor clutch? They do it all day long but usually not noticed but you will if looking for it. Every time cruise goes into accelerate the rpm should bump up maybe 200 rpm at unlock until the speed is satisfied then it drops back down 200 as the convertor clutch locks back up. Normal if that.
I've driven the car twice since yesterday morning, under the exact same conditions(commute home, and work this AM). It ran fine, so you could be dead-on about being paranoid/the converter. I checked the fluid last night for bubble, which someone told me is a sign of overfill/air in the fluid, and there was none. I'm feeling much better about it this morning. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if there are anymore issues.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW I am doing the CVT fluid change at some point in the next 2 weeks..... Let ya know how it goes... .some have said only go to the dealer but I find they are one of the following... rushed, dishonest, incompetent, lazy and or uncaring. Yes there are honest dealerships but what's the odds of actually getting an honest one?? Of course there is the cost of them also....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts