The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "service engine soon" light came on today...

I don't have a manual yet to check for the codes...so can anyone tell me what the sequence is for checking the codes? and where to look?

on my honda, there was a light blinking under the passenger side kickpanel...on my chrysler it was on the dash...have no clue where its at on my altima...

thanks

Cynthia

·
588 Posts
when it gives u the trouble code the check engine will flash, but do a search there is a procedure to do it, its a little panel next to gas pedal remove it, there is a little computer with a screw on the left side, it is probably sealed, turn the screw fully clockwise amd wai tlike 3 secs. than turn i back. itll start blinking and read it for short blinks and long blinks, than post the code, oh and the unit might flash the code also.

·
Retired
1,021 Posts
Or take it to AutoZone and they have a little device which plugs into this connector (located under the steering wheel, next to the fuse box). The device will pull the code from your ECU. This same device can clear the code as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for all the help...

I finally got around to taking care of it...found the ECU easily (thanks asf4life) and got it to throw the code at me...then reset it. it turns out it was an EVAC leak...and according to my manual, it equates to me not having the gas cap clicked tight enough, resulting in a slight vapor leak. how ghey.

either way, got it reset and good to go.

Glad you guys are here...I've found a wealth of knowledge on this site already...

Cynthia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts