The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the light came back on a few days ago. I just ingnored it for a few days, then yesterday my bro in law hooked it up to his OBD2 Scan tool. It gave two codes, cattalyst effieciency below threshold, and the second one had to do with the 02 sensor. I was just gonna ignore the dam light but my car is running real rich. It's smells like raw gas is coming out of the exhaust and my sparkplugs were all black. So I guess I gotta get this fixed soon before I ruin the engine.
I know there has to be some way of fixing this so I figure the Sentra guys must have run into this problem too. So I search the sentra forums, and sure enough I think they found a solution.

http://www.b15sentra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10907&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Think it'll work.

BTW, while searching Maxima.org. I found the answer to the annoying sound coming from my downpipe. I'm gonna try that today if I can find some header wrap.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=50711&highlight=header+wrap

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That sucks man! Those o2 sensors cost over $120 at the dealer too.(and thats a hook-up price)

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
Carparts.com has 10 listed for my 97GXE, from $18 to $175.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
NAPA sells them for $70 (and thats w/ the OEM connector). Although I am not certain about the O2 sensor dying, but if it 1) gave you an error and 2) your air/fuel ratio is off, it sounds a lot like an O2 sensor issue to me.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
when you took the o2 sensor out to install your your header did you accidently bang it on something or drop it? From what I heard they are very fragile.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TKEDiggs said:
I know this was a while ago, but were you able to fix the problem just be relocating the O2 sensor?
Haven't had a whole lot of time to fix it, but I'm gonna extend the wires tommorrow and I already had the the sensor fitting welded on.

·
candy is dandy.
3,370 Posts
man,nobody listens to me.i told you that it would come back on.and the added fuel not being burnt fouled out the o2 sensor.replace it and you should be okay on that aspect but as long as you have an aftermarket header the check engine light will ALWAYS BE ON.......well,most of the time.mine comes and goes.

·
candy is dandy.
3,370 Posts
SolacE said:
Mine still hasnt come on.......

I have had the stillen header in for 4 days now and still no light....
its only a matter of time my good friend solace and the check engine light clock is ticking.muahahahahhhahh,mauahahahahahahaha

·
ASE certified wiseass
214 Posts
VTEC: I disagree. The check engine light shouldn't come on. The engine management system should automatically compensate for the extra flow of the Header and control the mixture eficiently.

There should be no extra fuel to foul-out the O2 sensor. I think you got a bum sensor.

What have you tried to fix this problem?

Randy

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah, my check engine has never came on with my header, and its been on for a while now. I just think your car doesnt like you man.:p

·
candy is dandy.
3,370 Posts
RGAZ said:
VTEC: I disagree. The check engine light shouldn't come on. The engine management system should automatically compensate for the extra flow of the Header and control the mixture eficiently.

There should be no extra fuel to foul-out the O2 sensor. I think you got a bum sensor.

What have you tried to fix this problem?

Randy
do you know how much hc's a stock altima puts out? close to zero.i think mine had 21 parts per million when it was stock.why? two cats.nissan wants these cars to run clean as they can.and when you remove the pre-cat due to the header install,its fucks it all up.i could sit here and go on and on about obd2,and pre cats oxygen sensors,and pre cat monitor sensors,but the bottom line is you remove the precat and you decrease the vehicles ability to remove hc's and co's from the exhaust in half.and the ecu knows this.and it will set a check engine light.mine comes and goes.maybe cuz its a jwt ecu and its programmed differently,but on a stock ecu you will get a code. no doubt about it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
takinturns_likewhoa said:
yeah, my check engine has never came on with my header, and its been on for a while now. I just think your car doesnt like you man.:p
Don't you have a first gen? No precat rite?

Btw I had the the sensor relocated already. Lights off, but who knows for how long.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like I just joined your "group"...happened a few days ago...didn't get the check engine light for over a few weeks after installing my stillen header. What to do....do you guys get that high pitch whistling sound once in a while when accellerating? If anyone finds a solution...let me know...cause I'm dying to find out how to get rid of that damn light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts