The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
Drive around for about 1k miles, then do a quickie (oil change that is). If there's that much crap that came out, there's still a lot of it in the motor.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
you might be a candidate for the engine flush. At least I would switch to synthetic and do a couple quick changes.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jessa said:
a quickie?
Eventhough you drained out the old stuff and refilled with new oil.... if the old oil was in there for a long time, then there might be gunk clinging to the insides.

A way to clean that gunk out is to drive on the oil that you just put in for a short time, drain it out and refill with new oil.... You know, kinda like diluting the old out and getting a better concentration of new in.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
u should have changed when u got it......

·
dismember
11,347 Posts

·
no ordinary sedan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just going to run it for a hundred miles or so and then drain it again, and fill it up with synthetic oil... my dad said that should be fine.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
altimate94 said:
u should have changed when u got it......
May as well do the others, too, ie coolant, manual transaxle fluid, power steering, etc.

·
no ordinary sedan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah now thats just psycho, lol

I have no idea how to change those... they're probably fine.

Tranny fluid is next.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Change the tranny fluid next as you said;) Maybe one of those pan magnets is in order if you've got that much junk in there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
jessa said:
Yeah now thats just psycho, lol

I have no idea how to change those... they're probably fine.

Tranny fluid is next.
Hey jessa....I think it's psycho NOT to do those things.
You DO NOT HAVE TO have any iota of how to do all that stuff !!!!What you must do though, is invest $13.99 in a Haynes manual from your local autoparts store, or even better-for FREE from your local library- and be able to read and follow instructions exactly as given in the book. And of course have some basic tools :)

When buying a used car, any used car, unless you bought it from your parents or close relatives, one must assume the car has been MAJORLY neglected-which in most cases happens. It's the only logical thing in my oppinion. Along the years I had bought 2 used cars and in the next day or two, I did:
0) Read the owner's manual :D
1) Engine Oil & Filter change
2) Tranny Oil change
3) Engine coolant change
4) Power steering fluid change
5) Adjust tyre pressure to manufacturers' specs.

Please do not feel intimidated that you're a girl, or that you do not have any previous experience-NONE is necessary. If you have the will, you can do it during a Saturday/Sunday.
Good luck, H.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Horatio said:
When buying a used car,..... one must assume the car has been MAJORLY neglected-which in most cases happens.
exactly.

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
yeah, i found out my car use to be a rental.......hmmmm, wonder if that was why i had to get the tranny rebuilt at 70,000miles:)

·
projected member
919 Posts
dont do the engine flush. open the oil fill cap and look inside. if it looks all 'gunky' inside, add some oil treatment for the next 3 or 4 oil changes. this will slowly clean it out and keep it from clogging up the oil pickup screen and passages

1 - 20 of 23 Posts