The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has opened up their light assembly by putting it into the oven and melting the seals. I saw the DIY in the FAQ section, but was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences wit hthis before I went ahead to do it.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I've done it with my corners. I would be careful with the headlight lense since you don't want to scratch it up or get the glue all over the inside of the housing/reflector.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alright, you do it right you'll have no probs. I have done this on several different vehicles including my own alty. Do the following and you should have no prob:

1. Carefully remove headlights and use caution when handling bulbs.
2. Get a large pan or cookie sheet and place light housing on that
3. Preheat the oven to 240 degrees F
4. Place headlight cover in oven for 10 min.
5. Carefully remove the HOT headlight
6. Using a small screw driver, pop off the copper arched bands and then pry plastic lense up from the casing at the little button like points
7. Pry the lense away from the case and clean the light
8. NOTE: don't touch the reflective coating on the casing because it will rub off
9. To reattach the lense to the casing, just pop the two pieces together (make sure all button points are secure) and use a clear silicone (flowable) sealent. (this can be found at auto parts places or KMart)
10. After sealent is dry, reattach the copper bands and place headlight back in car

·
Registered
117 Posts
you will also need a small phillips to remove the screw

icleaned mine with greased lightning which remove the yellow haze then used pastic cleaner and polish

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Steve99gxe said:
i did my corners with no prob, never did the headlight.. prob easier just to buy new ones, they will look a hella lot betta
yeah, what he said

whats really gonna suck is if you try it and **** up your current ones and have to buy new ones anyway, be a nice waste of time though

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you that on the price. I just replaced my right side assembly for the shweet price of 100 bucks! However it is already foggin up on me!

I was planning on just using a junk one from another car first to see how it works.

If all else fails I may use my garage's heat gun to get it off.

I'm going to be using a combination of brake cleaner with some plastic cleaner to get the haze off. To seal it back up I'll be using airplane grade silicone that we have lying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts