The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all the smart guys out there

What is the best way to clean the engine (the outside) without messing up the electrical stuff? Cuz i engine is kinda dirty on the outside.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ok you want to clean your motor what you need is Simply Green or Grease lighting I prefer Grease lighting and these are degreasers. You go to one of these gas stations or car washes that you can wash your car yourself and it should be a pressure washer and you just spray your engine down with the degreaser but do not spray your intake if it is aftermarket and don't spray your distributor and spark plug wires(also make sure your spark plug wires are tight and in on both sides) and well let the degreaser sit for about 2 mins and then take the pressure washer and spray it all off and if some doesn't come off then you can use a brillo pad on your engine(mainly on the valve cover) to help remove some of the dirt or oil and grime. One last thing do not use a garden hose to do this results are not even worth it.

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
using a power washer would be a good idea but what if ur at the car wash and ur car won't start? then ur stuck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
75 cent car wash on my engine cause me $300 at nissan and a unplanned overnight stay out of town.Be very careful,water can get down in the spark plug holes pass the part where wires contact valve cover.Eventhough it looks like a tight seal,I recommend low pressure and scrub brush on the top of valve cover.I sprayed across the valve covers with high pressure water and it got down in the holes and started to boil away the insulation at plug end of wire deep in holes.The steam had no where to escape because of the semi sealed "cap"part that touches valve cover.anyway car started to miss on interstate 200 miles from home.Also leave engine running while cleaning with water and drive it awhile afterward to may sure everything is dry.I say leave it running because when something is hot and you instantly cool it ,it will contract or get smaller.(gaskets,oil leaks)So its important to keep engine as warm as possible while its wet.Oh yeah as said above avoid distributor cap.

·
4,020 Posts
High pressure washer really bad...good degreaser (I user Gunk, it's cheap and pretty strong shit) and patience while the stuff works and then spray it off with a steady stream of water.

619 Posts
yes, if the valve cover doesnt have grime caked onto it... but if you cant wipe it off with your finger....then just spraying degreaser and wiping wont help......spray degreaser, let it sit...and then get some steel wool...and scrub like your life depends on it....rinse it off, and repeat.... do not pressure wash or you will get water in the spark wires......and yeah cover the distrubutor cap/intake filter (if aftermarket)... and if your car does misfire after..... then look for my thread about drying spark plug wires, and the thread on resetting your ecu.

·
Infantry leads the way!
2,061 Posts
No. The water helps push off the dirt and grime and stuff. A towel might work but I highly doubt it. Just cover everything up GOOD. I did it with about 1-3 towels over everything and it worked fine. Just be very carefull because your engine has to be warm (NOT HOT) when you spray it.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
the only thing i use is Catrol Super Clean. best stuff ever. dont inhale it though... :) makes your hands gummy too, so keep it off your hands. good shit though. :)

·
588 Posts
just
1) disconnect your battery and take it out,
2) cover your intake or take out your air filter
3) In my opinion and experience you need 4 things handy when
doing htis, degreaser( Castrol, greased lightning, or engine degreaser willl work), WD-40, air blower or wet vac, and water
4) Make sure engine is warm to the touch not burning hot, and make sure all fluid caps are closed tightly. Than start spraying your degreaser everywhere. make sure not to get any on painted surfaces.
5) let the degresear work for about 2 minutes, and get a small brush and start scrubing heavy deposits of grease.
6) with hat done get your hose and with a light stream of water rinse away everything. Do not use a pressure washer.
7) once everything is thuroughly rinsed get your blower or wet vac and dry your engine fo a good 5 - 10 minutes making sure you get it in the spark plugs holes distrivutor cap and all other electrical components.
8) once you dried up everythign spray wd-40 generously all over your engine making sure to get enough on the elctrical components and harnesses
9) once you get that use ur blower all over the engine connect your battery, and turn on your engine, and you should have no problems. i used this method on every engine (about 10 cleanings) i washed with good results and never had a probelm

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
asf4life said:
just
1) disconnect your battery and take it out,
2) cover your intake or take out your air filter
3) In my opinion and experience you need 4 things handy when
doing htis, degreaser( Castrol, greased lightning, or engine degreaser willl work), WD-40, air blower or wet vac, and water
4) Make sure engine is warm to the touch not burning hot, and make sure all fluid caps are closed tightly. Than start spraying your degreaser everywhere. make sure not to get any on painted surfaces.
5) let the degresear work for about 2 minutes, and get a small brush and start scrubing heavy deposits of grease.
6) with hat done get your hose and with a light stream of water rinse away everything. Do not use a pressure washer.
7) once everything is thuroughly rinsed get your blower or wet vac and dry your engine fo a good 5 - 10 minutes making sure you get it in the spark plugs holes distrivutor cap and all other electrical components.
8) once you dried up everythign spray wd-40 generously all over your engine making sure to get enough on the elctrical components and harnesses
9) once you get that use ur blower all over the engine connect your battery, and turn on your engine, and you should have no problems. i used this method on every engine (about 10 cleanings) i washed with good results and never had a probelm
thats the plan id follow

·
Terrance and Phillip Show
1,378 Posts
first off... SEARCH... second...you canclean most of it without hurting anything with a wet cloth and some water... then armor all the hoses...and use steel wool on the metal hoses...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts