The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do some of you guys clean your altima, I only cleaned my altima once in 2000 miles, it gets very dirty. Hmm i guess im lazy, but i did it to be a example the "dirt mod" I notice that alot of dirt gathers around the rear end on top of the bumper and the trunk more than any other area, also that more dirt gets on the drivers side windshield were the wipers end. To add to that my windshield top modeling area on the out side folded in to the seam where the glass and the roof meet so water and dirt got into the gap. the front window seal above the drivers side did so i got a credit card and worked it out. Dont worry this might be future problems of Altimas, oh man im abuseing my Altima does anyone want picks of all this? also my front bump is all scraped up and a hub cap was stolen and cup holder was broken oh ya to add more to the abuse of to my altima there is a nic near the gas cap area were I turned around with the gas nosile when i was going to fill her up i missed and nict the side a little all this happens and its garage kept damn.

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
haha, how sad, u should take better care of u'r alty, have u noticed that the rubber on the top of the door(when opened) sometimes is popped up and u have to push it back into the groove, i have to do this on occasion

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE YOUR CAR THROUGH A BRUSH-TYPE CARWASH.

Just a very serious suggestion to you. Use a brushless, water only (obviously there will be soap fo some kind) carwash in the offseason when it's too cold to do it yourself.

I made this mistake once to a car with clearcoat and spent the next day using a light compound and wax to remove the minute scatches all down both sides. I was never able to regain its factory shine, though.

So learn from my really stupid mistake and don't do this. I know now and knew then better, I just can't figure out why I did what I did.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Another suggestion. Nissan, like most Japanese companies, tend to use a lesser quality and thinner steel, than American and German companies. So watch out for hail storms.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well i kinda think you are joking us but incase you are for real-My altima is seldom if ever dirty. I take pride in it and keep it super clean and shinning. I dust it every day with the cal. duster a grand total of 5 min max. I use detail spray couple times per week-10 min max. I have 3500 miles on mine and have waxed her completly 3 times and have put several extra coats on hood,roof and trunk. With the stated above maintance I can get by with an ever other week wash.To me its much easier to make those monthly payments when I feel good about my car and a real bitch when i dont. Its really pretty easy if you do a little often instead of a have to major all day detail job to get it back in shape. With the thin clearcoat let your baby get into really bad shape and it will never get back to new condition. Crap eats throught the coat and into the paint if left long enough.Get with it and you will be glad u did .

·
Gone Postal!!!
280 Posts
wipe it every other day

·
Registered
361 Posts
Every week I wash my baby. Or the next day after its done raining. I think it drives much better clean. Sometimes I'm out there with a water spray bottle and cloth, touching up.

I too noticed that alot of dirt gathers around the rear end on top of the bumper and the trunk more than any other area. Why is that? Is this magical dirt?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I started off cleaning her twice a week..but i got tired of that fast and now its like one every 2....i think i will be more anxious to wash it if i get something new on it like rims..since new things make you want to care for them more...the alty is getting old to me now...wow i sound spoiled but i swear im not...

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
I wash my car normaly with sponge and good quality soap. I then use a leaf blower and blow all the door handles, moldings and windows dry. I use a towel on the rest. Its easier to use the leaf blower because a bunch of water collects around the body kit where it is attached

·
A clean motor is happier
190 Posts
mmrfr said:
Well i kinda think you are joking us but incase you are for real-My altima is seldom if ever dirty. I take pride in it and keep it super clean and shinning. I dust it every day with the cal. duster a grand total of 5 min max. I use detail spray couple times per week-10 min max. I have 3500 miles on mine and have waxed her completly 3 times and have put several extra coats on hood,roof and trunk. With the stated above maintance I can get by with an ever other week wash.To me its much easier to make those monthly payments when I feel good about my car and a real bitch when i dont. Its really pretty easy if you do a little often instead of a have to major all day detail job to get it back in shape. With the thin clearcoat let your baby get into really bad shape and it will never get back to new condition. Crap eats throught the coat and into the paint if left long enough.Get with it and you will be glad u did .
Exactly what I do. Put a couple a good coats of carnuba wax, use turtle wax express spray shine w/carnuba when I need to detail it, and dust every other day with the super cal duster. When I dust it, and use the spray where I need to, I take it to work and people think I've just washed and detailed it. I tell em, I haven't washed the car in 3 weeks, and they go "no way!" It's really an easy car to keep clean, no sweat:D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Clean Car

I wash Ruby when she gets dirty. I ONLY use a sponge on the wheels because it holds minute particles that are abrasive to the paint finish. I use a car mit, you don`t actually have to put your hand inside it but it is the safest for the finish. I got this info from a detailer and believe me it works.

Windows; that is a different thing all together. Maybe you should try Lizzy`s famous vinegar solution?;)

·
Mature Member
1,874 Posts
Re: Not only me..

Ratwayne said:

And a few other people too..... hahahaa
LOL You guys are too funny!
And Rat, yes that is the sun setting in my avatar, reminded me of my beloved Mississippi. (Surely you didn't think I'd "moon" in front of all these people! :D )

·
Registered
833 Posts
Re: Clean Car

Ratwayne said:
I ONLY use a sponge on the wheels because it holds minute particles that are abrasive to the paint finish. I use a car mit, you don`t actually have to put your hand inside it but it is the safest for the finish.
Can you explain to me how a sponge that is rinsed every 30 seconds hold more dirt than a car mit? Does it magically move the dirt out of the way so that it cannot hurt the paint.

My last car was black and I had no problem using a thick sponge with a bunch of water and rinsing the sponge often. Thick is the key because if it picks up dirt it will not force it against the paint.

If people are using a towel to wash your car I believe this would be the highest risk because it will hold the dirt to the paint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts