The Nissan Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
2k2, 6 speed SE 99,230mi. Noticed a faint broken fan noise almost like cards in a bicycle spoke a few weeks ago and now it’s very loud and noticeable. At first it sounded like it needed oil but the level and color are fine. I only hear it when I take my foot off the gas and the car is in gear. Doesn’t matter if the clutch is in or out. It is worse when it is “cold” (I put that in “” because I live in South Carolina) It is much more faint after I let the car run for a bit. I don’t think it’s motor mounts and it’s not related when I turn the wheel. I took a video to try to pin point the sound and I’m afraid it’s from the head gasket. Doesn’t look like I can attach a video to this post tho.
Any suggestions welcome, gotta get my baby fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You only hear it when car is in gear, but it doesn't matter if clutch is in or out??

Did you check the exhaust heat shields etc.?
I hear it when I take my foot off the gas while in gear. I read about the heat shield rattle and I think I would hear it all the time, if not more consistently like when at idol at a light. Plus it would have more of a metallic sound. When I push the clutch in the sound goes away faster then just coasting in gear.
It’s the weirdest thing. Is there a way for me to post a video?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hear it when I take my foot off the gas while in gear. I read about the heat shield rattle and I think I would hear it all the time, if not more consistently like when at idol at a light. Plus it would have more of a metallic sound. When I push the clutch in the sound goes away faster then just coasting in gear.
It’s the weirdest thing. Is there a way for me to post a video?
I would still check the exhaust parts before delving too far into the engine/transmission. I had a similar sounding issue in the past where for whatever reason, the loose shielding was only audible during specific circumstances.

Not saying your issue for sure isn't engine/transmission problems.

I think you have to upload videos elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would still check the exhaust parts before delving too far into the engine/transmission. I had a similar sounding issue in the past where for whatever reason, the loose shielding was only audible during specific circumstances.

Not saying your issue for sure isn't engine/transmission problems.

I think you have to upload videos elsewhere.
Heard that. Will do. Thank you!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't tell where exactly the sound is coming from. Less sure that it's from the exhaust based on the video though.

It sounds like whatever is rattling is being moved by the engine's motion.

If you push down hard on the engine at various locations, does it mute the sound at all?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is not an exhaust heat shield noise. Not a good idea to be driving it like that. Recordings are hard to use to trouble shoot a problem. Exhaust leaks can be missleading too.
It would be nice if it was that simple. Timing chain tensioners, but then a knocking sound is more pronounced, like a tappet? The more I listen the more I think it is a tappet.

Scotty will show you how to figure it out. But if it still makes noise with belts off. Then it is in the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts