The Nissan Club banner

clicking noise while idling

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Godzildo 
#1 ·
When my alty is idling in park, it seems to be making a clicking noisec from in the valves. Are the hydrolic lifters loose or something. If anybody knows how to help me with this, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks
Joe

#2 ·
AltimaLow said:
When my alty is idling in park, it seems to be making a clicking noisec from in the valves. Are the hydrolic lifters loose or something. If anybody knows how to help me with this, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks
Joe
I absolutely guarantee your hydraulic lifters are not loose.
Mainly because you don't HAVE hydraulic lifters.
The valves may well be in need of an adjustment, which is not a job for the non-mechanical. Someone else will have to chime in on how much it would cost to have it done. It's not hard, but it is labor-intensive.

#3 ·
how long have u had the car? Valve noise is a characteristic of the altimas, thay have that tapping clicking noise...Thats why ppl say hondas are smoother. But thats just a bunch of dog crap. Unless u already knew that and you have heard other altimas run and you think yours is louder then maybe your valves need adjusting...lata

#7 ·
I have a 2001 with 19,000 miles on it. I hear it too. I also hear it, very loudy, when car first started in morning or whenever it has been sitting for a while. It's usually for a few seconds. I took it in and they say cause I wasn't using a Nissan oil filter that the oil was draining back into the engine. It made sense. So I bought a couple of them and it did the same damn thing. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to another alty. Maybe you guys can tell me.

#8 ·
I thought that was just the sound the fuel injectors made? I never heard it from my engine until I installed my cone filter, so it really couldn't be the timing chain. Injectors are known to make that noise, and in any case, it's normal for our cars to do that.

Edit: Mine's a 2000 with about 24000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.