The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Energy Liberation Front
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I had to pull off a 3-point turn in record time in order to avoid being plowed over by an 18-wheeler. I turned left, threw it in to reverse, gas, break, threw it back into drive and BAM! No, I didn't get hit....the sound came from my car. It was a jolting clunking sound like something heavy slammed into something. Was that my transmission? I imagine I shifted from D to R and back to D too quickly and something got caught up (auto)? So far my car drives normally in every gear, but I'm a little worried, what was that sound I heard, and should I be expecting trouble in the near future?

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
i can almost bet it was your tranny shifting too hard. You were probably still moving a little in each direction when you shifted the opposite way, right? Like you were still rolling back when you shifted into drive. It's really not good for the tranny, but if everthing seems to be ok, then don't worry about. Just try not to let it happen anymore.

or you had something heavy in the trunk rolling around, but i'd say tranny.

·
Energy Liberation Front
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, nothing in the trunk...must have been tranny, thanks man. I'll try to be more carefull next time.

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
417 Posts
The tranny messed up

I have had my auto tranny do that before when i did the same thing! just be careful :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
It's your tranny. Hopefully it doesn't do that too often. If it happens again, try changing the tranny fluid. If that doesn't help, you're screwed.
Jay

·
I wish I still had a Alty
107 Posts
Last time I heard that sound I blew the tranny. Did the exact same thing that you did but my car didnt move just reved like it was in neutral.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts