The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my clutch started making a grinding noise at the top of it's travel. even in neutral with the car off, if I press slowly on the clutch I can feel some resistance, about a quarter of the way in, it goes smooth again. When releasing the clutch, the resistance and grinding noise initiates at the same place. I'm not sure if that made any sense... but that's the best I can describe it as I'm in a hurry to be somewhere at the moment.

I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow anyways, but I'm just wondering if this has happened to any other 5-speed owners, and if so, what exactly the problem may be. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thai, join the club! If you do a search you will find many people with the same problem. The most frustrating thing about my situation was that the dealer insisted there was nothing wrong.

To make a long story short, after my car died on the street then they believed me.They replaced the clutch disc spring assembly, cover and bearing.

The car now runs great, but make sure they fix it under the warranty.

·
cruiser
1,016 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
hmm....I don't seem to have this problem
gee. . sorry to hear that thai. let us know what the dealer says.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
ThaiBruin said:
Don't know too much about that stuff... is that something that will be covered under warranty?
Yes it is..so long as you are under 3/36

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
It may also be the coil spring in the clutch pedal assembly. This spring makes a noise very much like that you have described.

Two things. Get ahold of someone to depress the clutch while you get as close to the pedal assembly as you can so you try to hear if the sound is coming from the spring. If it is, spray the spring and swivel with either some WD-40 or a high-quality silicone, such as a marine grade product.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thai, I have heard that there might be a recall on the clutch disc spring assembly. See as I stated before there is a defect, and as my dealer tried to do a little oil is not going to fix it.

My advice is: Leave the car there a few days, have them open up the whole assembly and have the clutch examined. I was given a free rental for my troubles hope the same for you. Good luck.

P.S. when did you buy your car? most of the clutch problems I have heard about are on the cars bought in late 2001.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To greer;

The springs in the clutch disk are part and party to the disk itself and cannot be replaced (no clutch has anything like this). The entire disk would need to be replaced. The coil springs in a clutch disk are present to absorb shock and the sudden torque which the clutch is subjected to when engagement begins.

Are you sure that it these springs or do you mean the clutch pedal assembly?

·
Registered
130 Posts
To Pvick: they replaced the disc, cover and bearing. Apparently, the clutch disc spring assembly broke damaging clutch assembly.

This is what is on my repair sheet, now what the heck does it all mean?

·
spinnin' !
226 Posts
Thai:

I had the same problem. Its like a creaking/grinding noise whe you release the pedal. It goes away for a very short time after you lube it. They replaced my clutch pedal assembly the second time I complained about this. The first time it happened they lubed it and the problem returned a week later. It's now been perfect for 6 months since they replaced it. it is now a commonly known problem although I dont think there is a TSB for it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
342 Posts
My sounds like a sqeeking noise, kinda of like when you close a door or something that needs to be oiled. It is really loud, but it comes and goes. Did anyone else have this same noise?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Charlie-

The only TSB that I'm aware of (but would'nt apply to
you because you have the 2.5) is #NTB02-084.

This TSB applies only to 2002 Altima SE & 2002 Maxima.
This covers the infamous clutch "howl" or "groan."

The fix consists of a new clutch disc with updated
friction material. THAT'S ALL THEY REPLACE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts