The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1SG_Ireton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE for the past 15 years with no clutch issues until January 2015. My car would not shift when at a light until I shut it off. Was able to make it home. I replaced the clutch slave and master and bleed the slave till I was able to shift again. Drove the car for a month till it would not shift again. It shifts when the vehicle is not running but will not shift when the car is running. There was no signs of the clutch going out. Will a throw-out bearing suddenly go out or will there be signs leading to the bearing needing replaced? Need some assistance as I am frustrated in selling the car.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Sounds like you aren't fully retracting the clutch from the flywheel, so while it's being driven, much more difficult to shift...you would need to rev match while driving and stop/start the engine for neutral/first. I would have done the same thing you did (if there was evidence of missing fluid/fluid leakage)... i.e. replace master/slave clutch cylinders...surprised that didn't just fix it. Any signs of fluid leakage? Have you checked cylinders again for air?

If it sounds like this guy's problem then you have a new clutch job in the future if you want to sell it.

·
1SG_Ireton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen no signs of leakage and I bleed the system 4-5 times with 2 each 16 oz bottles of DOT 3. All the procedures were based on the car technical manual. I have my doubts with the throwout bearing going bad, considering there are no noises to include no feedback with the pedal once the pressure is built in the cylinders. This issue came out of nowhere. My frustration led to me buying a new vehicle. However i want to figure this out so I can sell it to my friend, it only has 136K miles. Both the master and slave cylinder were OEM parts from advance auto.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Per the link above, I believe your pressure plate has failed.

·
1SG_Ireton
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the link. After reading the post I have had similar issues except for the noise (loud metallic " clunk" or " pop") when I got it to finally shift. When I try to shift it just drops the the RPM's a little. Sounds like this may be costly to sell it. Again thanks for input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts