The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea, ive searched, just wanna get some opinions other than the ones i found :)

ive noticed it seems a lot of 98/99 altimas burn out clutches quickly. mine slipped the other day (it was REALLY cold out too) and decided to take it to the dealer so i could get my clutch pedal adjusted (it was out of spec anyway). well, they told me (after charging me 30 bucks) that "the clutch has no adjustment, youre throwout bearing and your clutch plate are gone". they also said i never need to change my tranny fluid (WHAT???) i specifically said "i want my clutch PEDAL freeplay adjusted...and they wrote it down on the sheet as "customer says clutch has too much freeplay". I was pissed....to say the least.
i adjusted my clutch pedal (a little...not enough, its too cramped in there...i cant fit my fat hands in there to do any work!) and its not slipping anymore...and the TO bearing isnt making any noise...so i think im good to go, hopefully. i have like 57K on my car...the clutch should not be dead! any thoughts...?

Monki

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
put the car in fifth gear during idle and slowly let out the clutch, if it dies, have a nice day, if it continues to run, open up mr. wallet and go buy you a new one... AFTER you attempt to bleed and/or adjust.

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i did the 5th gear trick...at 25 mph and going WOT in 5th and wasnt going anywhere fast...so i know my clutch is ok. havent done any bleeding yet, but it might be a thought.

there is one thing weird about the alty's clutch, and i wonder if any others do this...that when i shift quick and gas it, the RPMs stay up a little, drop down, and then start climbing. does the stock clutch just not grip as hard as other clutches (i dont ever remember having that problem in my 87 Accord, but then again, the Alty has a lot more torque...LOL). im planning to replace the clutch with an ACT, and get a lightweight flywheel (when the stock clutch goes...i aint spending money when theres no reason to!)

oh well :) time to beat on the alty some more...Thanks asleep :)

Monki

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
youre welcome, i think... you were s'posed to do the fifth gear thing while you were not moving... hehe, you might have a slightly burnt clutch now though... my car does the rpm thing too once in awhile but its only when the clutch is hot. its slipping when it does that, so the next time you feel it, back off a bit. have fun!

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
I have a 99 with 104K.Stock clutch.Gets beat on daily.So its not the clutches.:)

Your 1st 5 speed?

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, second...first was an 87 Accord. ill do the 5th gear trick before i go to work. it should die (knock on wood). i didnt go in fifth from 25 mph for long. just long enough to know it was grabbing, then i went back to second.
my Honda's clutch lasted to about 140K or more...cant really remember. it had four drivers on it (my dad, mom, brother and me) and i had a big share of the wear on it. it probably would have lasted longer if it wasnt my first manual.

yea, i thought it might be slipping (when shifting) i was just wondering if it was normal...and yea i do back off! the more that happens, the more the clutch gets worn...and thats bad! i dont wanna replace my clutch yet. im gonna wait until well over 100K before that happens! (hopefully...)

Monki

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
im at 146k with the original clutch... at least thats what i was told and as long as the clutch isnt overly hot, it will still chirp 2nd.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i said stock clutch is good for daily driving,but for racing like i do,it
sucks it losses a lot of power in 3rd gear,and my clutch is four month old :D serously it sucks im buying a center force in two weeks from now if nothing goes wrong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts