The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE PLEASE NO FLAMES.

I have a 5 speed and have found that the car does not jerk as much if the clutch is not pressed all the way to the floor. WIll this hurt the clutch or burn it up?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I assume you mean you are not fully disengaging the clutch between shifts. Yes, this is not good for, (1) the flywheel, (2) the pressure plate, (3) the clutch disk, and (4) the synchronizers.

If your shifting is jerky when you fully disengage the clutch between shifts, you are not shifting properly. You would do much better to perfect that technique than develop a bad habit.

You might also consider doing a clutch petal adjustment. Many (including myself) have complained in the past on this site that the clutch petal began clutch engagement much too close to the floor which can cause gear grinding and jerky shifting. I adjusted mine months ago and have never looked back.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does anyone know how to adjust it. I have the dealer adjust it once and you could press the gas and it would just rev up. My clutch pedal sit a good 2-3 inches above the brake pedal.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
02silver2.5l said:
PLEASE PLEASE NO FLAMES.

I have a 5 speed and have found that the car does not jerk as much if the clutch is not pressed all the way to the floor. WIll this hurt the clutch or burn it up?
I experienced this too at certain shifting points (1st & 2nd primarily) and when I had the OEM muffler taken off and aftermarket put on made a difference with the jerkiness and noticed less hesitation between shifting. I still might try to adjust the clutch settings. I remember seeing how this was done a few months back in a thread. Sounded pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To deezy24;

At first glance, I thought you were kidding. But what you said makes sense. The cause for your cure is simply the fact you can now here the engine better. Helps in your shifting. My Stillens did the same thing. I have never liked quiet cars for this and other reasons. I like to hear what my engine is doing.

To 02silver2.5l

Now for clutch adjustments. I wrote the threat that deezy24 refers to. You may be able to find it with a search. Actually, it is very simply and will take you all of about 10-15 minutes. Hopefully, you are not a very large person because you will need to squeeze into the driver's side footwell to get to the adjustment bolt on the assembly. I'm 5 feet 10 inches and 190 pounds (not fat) if that kinda gives you an idea.

Anyway, examine the clutch assembly and you will see a "shaft" going from the top of the clutch petal through a rubber boot on the interior side fo the firewall. The part of that shaft which connects to the top of the clutch petal has a bolt with a locking nut attached and is threaded into the top of the clutch petal. Use a Magic Marker and mark the stock position of this bold in respect to the section of the petal it passes through. then carefully loosen the locking nut and back out the bolt one complete turn (make sure you can do this without removing it from the assembly). Now tighten the locking nut and test out the new setting.

As I mentioned earlier, I did mine months ago and have had no problems missing or grinding gears or of shifts hanging on me.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I would like to re-iterate that backing the bolt out of the hole will cause the clutch to begin engagement higher in the petal's travel. Doing the reverse will result in the reverse, of course. Also, use a screw driver or needle-nosed plyers to apply opposing force when you are loosening and tightening the lock nut so that you don't bend the piece it threads into.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
pvick said:
To deezy24;

At first glance, I thought you were kidding. But what you said makes sense. The cause for your cure is simply the fact you can now here the engine better. Helps in your shifting. My Stillens did the same thing. I have never liked quiet cars for this and other reasons. I like to hear what my engine is doing.

Yeah its weird but after I had the aftermarket muffler put on I realized the exhaust is traveling straight through and not going in a mouse maze with a "helpful" valve for that "silent strong type" (read that in the Altima brochure):rolleyes: I just wish the 2.5L rpm's didn't start redlining at 6200!! ugh! I too like hearing the engine.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
djliquidice said:

Sorry. I thought it was funny and apropriate. =) sorry... =(
When I sent you my shower pic I thought it was just between you and me! At least you had enough sense to crop it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts