The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday, at approximately 47,000 miles my check engine light came on. No drivability issues, no symptoms...nothing. So I run it home and read the code with turned out to be MAF. I cleaned it, changed the air filter, cleaned out the box and cleared the code. Light has not come back on, but I have not driven many miles at all. After doing some research, I found a TSB on the issue NTB-12-051D. I guess my question is....should the light return, will the dealer perform the TSB free of charge? Is the MAF part of the Emissions warranty and covered?? I hate to take my car to the dealer, but if it is covered..I will and cross my fingers that they do not F anything else up. How long does it typically take for the code to reappear if the MAF is actually faulty or there is a potential vacuum leak?

Thanks,

Bill

PS- T have had a 3.5 Altima since October of 2001....this is the first malfunction I have ever had.....not too shabby

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This place is like a morgue..... 150 miles, no light..I think it is fixed

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light back on....if MAF was bad...I would think it would have tripped the code sooner?????????????

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Light back on....if MAF was bad...I would think it would have tripped the code sooner?????????????
Think you've pretty much eliminated the MAF, so it is either intake air leaks, or damaged wiring...and given the long periods before the light comes on...I'm going with intake leak. So check your EGR hose, your intake manifold gasket/torques, your rubber bits around the throttle body and air filter box. In general clean and tighten all of the above.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug...the 2 hose clamps on the hose out of the filter box going into the throttle body were quite loose for some reason...Do you think that could be the culprit ?

·
6,365 Posts
Thanks Doug...the 2 hose clamps on the hose out of the filter box going into the throttle body were quite loose for some reason...Do you think that could be the culprit ?
You bet! The MAF is installed between the filterbox and the throttle body...any air leaks there count as unmetered air!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Light back on today. Stopped by Nissan with TSB in hand and they said I would still have to pay even though this is an emissions related issue. I did a lot of reading and most of what I read it was covered by Nissan. Will call Nissan North America later today. My dealer is pretty bad here locally.....horrible service reviews. That would be Montrose Nissan if anyone is interested.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a good sign when you call Nissan North America about one of their TSB and they ask you...

What is a TSB?? LMAO....the dealerships get it honestly.....

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cleared code at 387 miles. No codes and going on 700 miles. Maybe the computer corrected itself???? I certainly would think if there was an issue it would have came on before 7oo

·
6,365 Posts
tank of bad gas?

seasonal temperature related?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who knows, I just thrilled it is out and I did not let the Monkeys at Nissan take a shot at it

Reactions: coupe034

·
Registered
9 Posts
i got the same code from autozone, p0101 MAF/CIRCUIT-B1 (Mass or volume air flow "A" circuit range/performance), their suggest solution is to reprogram the Engine Control Module. Do I have to take it to the dealer to do it? Is it free/under warranty? car is at 60k. thanks

·
6,365 Posts
First buy a $9 of CRC MAF cleaner, remove your MAF...resist the urge to touch the wire...and spray that sucker a half dozen times, letting it drip dry each time. Re-install. Take the time to have a really good look at the MAF connector contacts and wires exiting the rear (harness side) for cracks etc. Clear codes and see if it comes back...ever.

If you can't fix it with the cleaner...buy a new one from an aftermarket supplier...that will be about half the cost of a Nissan diagnostic before any parts are bought. If that still doesn't fix it...give in and get professional help.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got the same code from autozone, p0101 MAF/CIRCUIT-B1 (Mass or volume air flow "A" circuit range/performance), their suggest solution is to reprogram the Engine Control Module. Do I have to take it to the dealer to do it? Is it free/under warranty? car is at 60k. thanks

Some dealers have done it for free, code does return often from what I have read about the issue. Expect to pay, they wanted to charge me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First buy a $9 of CRC MAF cleaner, remove your MAF...resist the urge to touch the wire...and spray that sucker a half dozen times, letting it drip dry each time. Re-install. Take the time to have a really good look at the MAF connector contacts and wires exiting the rear (harness side) for cracks etc. Clear codes and see if it comes back...ever.

If you can't fix it with the cleaner...buy a new one from an aftermarket supplier...that will be about half the cost of a Nissan diagnostic before any parts are bought. If that still doesn't fix it...give in and get professional help.
is it a problem if i wait a month or so to do this? way too cold now.

·
6,365 Posts
706 miles- Light back on
Ok, clear it and let's see how long before it comes back on. Pretty much what I'm doing with the P0430 I got back in November...

Whether it's random or repeatable may help debug this sucker.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts