The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1988 maxima se 5sp

I had a code 33, so I replaced the o2 sensor. There are no more codes, reset the ecu and drove the car and still no codes. I also replaced spark plugs, gaped them to .040, air and fuel filer, stp fuel treatment, cleaned the tb for carbon build up and sprayed carb cleaning into the intake, removed the air regulator and sprayed both sides with the clearer, it was built up bad with carbon. Plus degreased the whole engine bay. Now it runs and idles fine when it is warm, right at 600 rpm. No hesitation at all when I rev the motor. but now when I cold start the car it starts right up but only idles at 700 rpm and shakes until it gets a little normal and then its fine. When I first got the car and started it, it would idle around 1,100 rpm and go down from there. So did I mess up the air regulator by cleaning it or is it the idle-up solenoid failing or is it something else? the engine runs crazy smooth now once its warm. I can't believe now smooth it is.

any help would be great.

thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,710 Posts
'88? So a second gen? Twenty years later I would have suggested an Idle Relearn, but I have no idea what kind of ECU is in that car or how you initiate. Maybe just disconnect the battery for 24hrs and see if it auto relearns on its own as a result?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Weren't those vintage idle air controls the 64-step ones?

Did you energize the valve when cleaning?

How did you ensure full cleaning from closed to fully open, without migrating some debris into the valve?

How long did you let it dry (inside) before re-running car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts