The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was told that you shouldn't start driving your car immediately after starting the engine, especially on cold days. You have to leave the engine in idle for couple of minutes and make sure that the engine temparature gauge rises atleast a little above '0' before you start driving.

Is it true ? But, I hate sitting in the car doing nothing and watch the needle to go up.

·
22,052 Posts
Normal temps, I wait around 30 seconds. I usually start the car, then put on my belt, mess with the radio, put on sunglasses if needed, then start moving.

In the Winter, I wait at least one minute...usually 2. I also live less than a mile from the interstate, so I'm gonna be getting on it sooner. If you have a casual drive, a minute or so is plenty of time. Keep the RPM's down, and don't drive like a mad man.

A minute or 2 is all the car needs. Just be gentle on it until it gets up to temperature.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Peterson said:
Normal temps, I wait around 30 seconds. I usually start the car, then put on my belt, mess with the radio, put on sunglasses if needed, then start moving.

In the Winter, I wait at least one minute...usually 2. I also live less than a mile from the interstate, so I'm gonna be getting on it sooner. If you have a casual drive, a minute or so is plenty of time. Keep the RPM's down, and don't drive like a mad man.

A minute or 2 is all the car needs. Just be gentle on it until it gets up to temperature.
depending on the teperature i may leave it for 5 to 7 minutes in -30C.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Never more than a minute for me whatever the temperature. If the oil isn't doing its thing by then, it never will.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
My '99 Manual says:

Warm-up
Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds after starting. Drive at moderate speed for a short distance first, especially in cold weather.

That's pretty much what I do. Just use common sense - take it easy - keep the revs down and don't "dog" it until it's had time to get up to normal operating temp. BTW, You can let it sit there and idle for an hour if you want... the engine may be warmed up, but the rest of the drivetrain (especially transmission & its oil/fluid) is still freezing cold. You should still drive easy for a bit until it all warms up. IMO, letting it idle for more than the 30 seconds or so as specified is a waste of time and fuel - unless you just want your interior to be toasty before you get in and the frost melted off your windshield. :) That's cool... but don't think you're doing that because it's "good" for your car.

·
Registered
658 Posts
kenshi said:
Never more than a minute for me whatever the temperature. If the oil isn't doing its thing by then, it never will.
its not ur oil. its the fact that metals arent as strong when they are cold (easy way to round off cams). they are very brittle. metals also contract so ur clearances are larger so parts move around a lot more than they are supposed to.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Poe99SE said:
My '99 Manual says:

Warm-up
Allow the engine to idle for at least 30 seconds after starting. Drive at moderate speed for a short distance first, especially in cold weather.

That's pretty much what I do. Just use common sense - take it easy - keep the revs down and don't "dog" it until it's had time to get up to normal operating temp. BTW, You can let it sit there and idle for an hour if you want... the engine may be warmed up, but the rest of the drivetrain (especially transmission & its oil/fluid) is still freezing cold. You should still drive easy for a bit until it all warms up. IMO, letting it idle for more than the 30 seconds or so as specified is a waste of time and fuel - unless you just want your interior to be toasty before you get in and the frost melted off your windshield. :) That's cool... but don't think you're doing that because it's "good" for your car.
actually u save fuel by letting ur car warm up if u have a decent driving distance. ur ecu purposely runs ur car rich when its cold so revving with a rich mixture leads to horrible mpg when u couldve idled at 700 rpms for 2 or 3 minutes so that ur O2 sensor and everything functions properly and u have near perfect mixtures.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Normally I don't leave the car in idle for more than 1 or 2 minutes.

This winter we've had some dreadfull mornings at -30 Celcius (-22 Fahrenheit) so I just make sure I have the block heater pluged in. RPM's at start up are 1100 where as it would be at 1500+ without the block heater on. After I just make sure not to rev it up too high.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
jr93alty said:
actually u save fuel by letting ur car warm up if u have a decent driving distance. ur ecu purposely runs ur car rich when its cold so revving with a rich mixture leads to horrible mpg when u couldve idled at 700 rpms for 2 or 3 minutes so that ur O2 sensor and everything functions properly and u have near perfect mixtures.
Hmmm... interesting point; however, I bet it warms up faster in the two minutes it takes me to drive down the road I live on @ 35 MPH than it would idling in my driveway for two minutes. By then I'm at the highway. It must be working OK... because I'm getting 30-31 MPG on a regular basis. I check it every fill-up.

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
coach said:
This winter we've had some dreadfull mornings at -30 Celcius (-22 Fahrenheit)
Dude... if it got that cold down here, you're damn skippy I'd let mine sit in the driveway and warm up! :D That's friggin COLD!

·
Banned
1 Posts
I let mine run 30 secs- 1 min, then drive slowly and gently the first 5 mins or so. Better safe than sorry, especially on a higher mileage car.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Dude... if it got that cold down here, you're damn skippy I'd let mine sit in the driveway and warm up! :D That's friggin COLD!
You my friend are a cold weather wimp!

Naw, it's all good! Block heaters are the best though! Mine is on for about 4-5 hours when I know it's going to be cold. Then a couple of minutes idle time is enough for me to get the snow off and off I go.

Off Topic: I was down in SC 3 years ago for Christmas Golf and it was colder then I had expected! The greens were frozen every morning. It was like 14 F (-10C) almost all the time

·
Deviate from the norm
132 Posts
coach said:
You my friend are a cold weather wimp!
You, my friend, are absolutely RIGHT! :D That's why I like living here! Pretty sad coming from someone who was born in Alaska isn't it??? Dad was in the Air Force - stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, but we moved here when I was three, so I don't remember much about it.

Off Topic: I was down in SC 3 years ago for Christmas Golf and it was colder then I had expected! The greens were frozen every morning. It was like 14 F (-10C) almost all the time
Eh... you must've brought that crap down here with you! :) No, we get cold snaps like that occasionally, but they are rare. You just got lucky. Actually my brother, brother-in-law and I play every Christmas when we're all together - and we were playing that year too. It WAS cold!!!

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
Poe99SE said:
Eh... you must've brought that crap down here with you! :) No, we get cold snaps like that occasionally, but they are rare. You just got lucky. Actually my brother, brother-in-law and I play every Christmas when we're all together - and we were playing that year too. It WAS cold!!!
There wasn't any snow up here when we left! It was kinda funny how we planned a trip to get away from the snow and there wasn't anything until we got to Myrtle Beach! Would have loved to shank a few range balls into the Atlantic! :D

At the end of the trip, we raced a storm all the way back home. We lost!

Here's the drop my car had back then:

This is why:

4 people and luggage, 4 full golf bags, and tons-o-shopping bags from the outlets!

·
I'll kick your a**
396 Posts
:( Must be nice... while "Michelle" is in the paint shop... I have to drive the 198? Plymouth Acclaim... that m.f. takes at LEAST 15 min to get the heat runnin in the morning!!!!!!! But Michelle takes about a min to get warmed up!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
jr93alty said:
its not ur oil. its the fact that metals arent as strong when they are cold (easy way to round off cams). they are very brittle. metals also contract so ur clearances are larger so parts move around a lot more than they are supposed to.
If that's the case why would an engine be designed to fast idle at around 1500 rpm when cold? I would think that's the last thing you would want.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts