The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this warning come up a few times on the centre display on the dashboard but have never questioned it. Does this simply mean what it says? My car is telling me that the temperature outside is "cold"?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is triggered at 37 degrees. A little warm for ice but that is its intent.
Ahh thanks. I find that a little odd that that is a feature of the car. Any way to turn this off/change the temperature setpoint?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had this warning come up a few times on the centre display on the dashboard but have never questioned it. Does this simply mean what it says? My car is telling me that the temperature outside is "cold"?
Yeah, it's telling you that the outside temperature is below 37F (3C). I'm not sure what the point of the warning is though :) I think it can be disabled if you'd like... the only thing I saw in the manual that might be related is on page 4-24, about the A/C controls: "When the [front defog] position is selected, the air conditioner automatically turns on (the indicator light on the A/C button will come on) if the outside temperature is more than 36°F (2°C)." There's a similar comment on 4-25.

So the point is just to let you know that dehumidified defogging won't be available if it's too cold outside? Dunno...

Edit: the setting to turn it off should be under Settings -> Alarms -> Outside temperature

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's telling you that the outside temperature is below 37F (3C). I'm not sure what the point of the warning is though :) I think it can be disabled if you'd like... the only thing I saw in the manual that might be related is on page 4-24, about the A/C controls: "When the [front defog] position is selected, the air conditioner automatically turns on (the indicator light on the A/C button will come on) if the outside temperature is more than 36°F (2°C)." There's a similar comment on 4-25.

So the point is just to let you know that dehumidified defogging won't be available if it's too cold outside? Dunno...

Edit: the setting to turn it off should be under Settings -> Alarms -> Outside temperature
Perfect. Thanks Quantum. Appreciate the detailed response!

·
Registered
101 Posts
The point is...

The "icy" warning is to let you know that icy road conditions may exist. That's the point...to alert you to the fact that you may need to slow down, as surprising as that may be.

The 37-degree point has been used for this warning on all makes of cars I've owned in the past 15 years that have had this feature.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Cars are having more warning messages nowadays. My last 3 cars all have this icy or low temp warning. It would be even better if car makers could develop hail storm warning so we could have enough time to find shelter before it starts!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The "icy" warning is to let you know that icy road conditions may exist. That's the point...to alert you to the fact that you may need to slow down, as surprising as that may be.

The 37-degree point has been used for this warning on all makes of cars I've owned in the past 15 years that have had this feature.
Hmm, but the warning message doesn't mention anything about ice... it's "Low Outside Temperature". I still think it's to let you know about the defogger, rather than road conditions, but that's just my guess based on the mention in the manual, and that 37F sounds like a good A/C evaporator temperature (a bit above freezing).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Since the A/C automatically turns on when using the defogger at that temp and there's no way to control that, I'd have to say it's to advise you of potential icy road conditions. 37F may seem high, but temps can fluxuate quite a bit based on the terrain. It could be 37F at your current elevation, but would quickly drop if you drive down into a valley. Warnings are really only beneficial if you receive them before something happens, not as they happen. If the warning comes on when the temp "decends" to 37F, that's an indication that it's getting colder and that you should be aware of what's coming.

·
Registered
816 Posts

The 1995 Volvo that I had only indicated icy conditions if the temp was at or below 32 degrees, granted '95 is more than 15 years ago.

Ahh thanks. I find that a little odd that that is a feature of the car. Any way to turn this off/change the temperature setpoint?
The option to turn it off is in the Vehicle Settings under Warnings or Alerts. Can't recall the exact name of the setting off the top of my head, but it does say something along of the lines of "outdoor temp". Just uncheck thatx and it shouldn't alert you any more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry but this warning is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Perhaps 33 degrees to warn people of possible frozen roads but 37 .. crazy...

the road surface needs to be 32 degrees to get any type of ice...

·
Registered
368 Posts
TRUE, but the surface of the street needs to be at freezing (32)...
When ambient temperature is several degrees above 32F or 0C, ice could still be on the road. Overnight, ice may formed during the cooler temperature. When you drive the car in the early morning, the ambient temperature may rise fast to a few degrees above freezing but road ice may still be there. As a preemptive warning, it is necessary to warn you a few degrees above freezing point.

·
2013 2.5SL SuperBlack
321 Posts
black ice can form when outside temperature is above freezing, that's why the warning shows up at 37 degrees.

to disable the warning read page 2-19 of owner's manual

there is also a helpful site called google.com that has answers for just about anything you ever wanted to know ;)
I agree with xeene! Let me google that for you lol :)

·
LOL AWD
3,338 Posts
The trigger temp is meant to give you a heads up and a chance to adjust your driving accordingly. If it went off a 32* you'd already be driving on ice and it is possible the warning to be too late and thus completely useless.

·
Common sense advocate
2,313 Posts
I'm sorry but this warning is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Perhaps 33 degrees to warn people of possible frozen roads but 37 .. crazy...

The air temperature and road surface temp can vary greatly. Air temp changes faster than the road temp, so it's possible to be showing 37 deg F for air temp, and at the same time the road can still be freezing.

·
Registered
29 Posts

May seem crazy but we had it on our x3 and it's been more an FYI 'it's cold' sort of thing to us.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

well it is 'just a feature' dont like it? u can turn it off. not forced to see it appear

1 - 20 of 40 Posts