The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed when it rains the collision avoidance turns off with a message stating the radar is being blocked and the turns off. There is a dish light on indicating it is off. Anyone have this issue? Is it normal? I wouldn’t think so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. I drove under multiple rainy conditions and didn't come across this issue yet. Maybe check the logo in front to see if there are any bug splats?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have noticed when it rains the collision avoidance turns off with a message stating the radar is being blocked and the turns off. There is a dish light on indicating it is off. Anyone have this issue? Is it normal? I wouldn’t think so.
Take a look at the 2019 Nissan Altima Owners Manual, page 5-154 thru 5-159.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take a look at the 2019 Nissan Altima Owners Manual, page 5-154 thru 5-159.
Thank you. Yes I read this before and although it make sense, it doesn’t really explain why only when it rains, unless the amount of water is blocking the sensor?? The front of the car is otherwise clean. I am up for service in the next month, I’ll have Nissan take a look

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thank you. Yes I read this before and although it make sense, it doesn’t really explain why only when it rains, unless the amount of water is blocking the sensor?? The front of the car is otherwise clean. I am up for service in the next month, I’ll have Nissan take a look
From the owners manual...Listed below are the system limitations for the I-FCW system. Failure to operate the vehicle in accordance with these system limitations could result in serious injury or death. ∙ The I-FCW system cannot detect all vehicles under all conditions. ∙ The radar sensor does not detect the following objects: – Pedestrians, animals or obstacles in the roadway oncoming vehicles – Crossing vehicles.

The radar sensor may not detect a vehicle ahead in the following conditions: – Snow or heavy rain – Dirt, ice, snow or other material covering the radar sensor.

I am glad that you read this, and you agree that this makes sense. However, I am sad that you really don't understand what you read.

Maybe someone at the Nissan dealer can explain it so you are able to understand it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheap sensor design by Nissan in heavy rain / snow it will turn it self off because it’s not able to detect with 100% certainty.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The US military has multi-million dollar radar systems that do not work well in rain either, the radio waves cannot hit the target when deflected by 9 zillion raindrops on the way, a limitation of the system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was testing X-Band radar on my car 40 years ago. It didn't work in rain. Do you know why? The radar detects the raindrops. It's called "The Laws Of Physics" and you know, you can't kid the laws of physics.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You can today though in this truth is not truth world we now live in. Nothing has to make sense to those that don't care to to begin with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheap sensor design by Nissan in heavy rain / snow it will turn it self off because it’s not able to detect with 100% certainty.
The sensor is made by Bosch. Other manufactures have the same issue with same branded sensor. It does get blocked by snow, happened to me in the last two snowstorms.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,000 Posts
Just when you need it most...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts