The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the KA is prone to having an oil dripping problem?? and from where does the leak usually originate from. I am wondering cause I was reading the reviews on our cars....and I qoute this it says oil leaks are common in the motor? thanks

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Actually, I like to think of it as an automated oil change procedure. See, by 2-3000 miles, most of it has leaked out and it's ready for the new oil so voila!, just add the new and change the filter!!:)
Alright, on the 93/94 for sure, the o ring between the block and timing cover is prone to failure (of all the things to go out-a $.02 o ring in a $1000 labor location! pretty sad!) though how it 'leaks' I don't know since the cover is sealed-does it just accumulate in the cover or back into some part of the motor?? (Shawn would know)
The front crank seal is also very common behind the crank pulley. At nissan, it's a $3 item and fairly easy to install.
I was told by a shop that my rear crank seal was also leaking but I don't know of a rear CRANK seal-maybe he meant rear MAIN?
Anyway, my oil sending unit was leaking very badly when I bought it (93 GXE auto w/90k at the time) and others have had the same problem. An even easier fix-somewhere around $30-50.
Of course the valve cover can leak over time and if the distributor is defective it will leak a TON! At least mine did.
According to Shawn, very rarely does the oil pan leak since it uses RTV to seal I believe though I think some have had to have it redone.
Hope this helps.

·
1,484 Posts
I have an oil leak that just started, and it appears to be running down the underside of the pan, but I'm not sure if it's the oil pan or not. I've been meaning to get the car in the air and take a better look at it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would these leaks effect performance? Or if I start experiencing these leaks can I just leave as is. and not worry about it?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Well, any leak is not great- Of course the severity of the situation depends on the location, also the leak can get worse, and also there's more danger of a fire I would think, esp if it's constantly leaking on a very hot part of the engine or something like that. If you want your engine to last, even if you're on a tight budget, do what you can afford or learn to do as much yourself as you can.

·
1,484 Posts
I also have a leak coming from the power steering pump. I need to go by the dealership, and ask on pricing for a new one.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Mine too, from the pump to the motor, seems like everything associated w/ the ps is leaking though not very bad.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where is the oil sending unit and where do you see oil leaking from? If I had oil somehow getting onto my alternator, (pretty much the entire left side of the engine) and my valve cover gasket was just changed, what do you think that could be leaking?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a comment - on almost every Altima I've ever worked on, the powersteering reservoir cap leaked. I work at an oil change shop so I've seen a good number of Altimas.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I ve got a little leak around of half moon , left under the valve cover gasket. But it's an easy fix and it really only loses few dorps a month...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts