The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recomendations for a component speaker set for the fronts of a 1 gen GXE driven by just an aftermarket headunit?

I'm looking for better sound than the factory speakers and not more power. That's why I don't want to spend the extra money and effort on installing amps. I know I can just get a 2-way coaxial, but was wondering if I could get a component system to work with my headunit.

I have a JVC KD-SH707 which is an MP3 headunit that I HIGHLY recommend if you want a MP3 headunit. It reads ISO and Joliet format CDs, ID3v1 tags, it can do random over disc or just a folder, it resumes the last song if the car is turned off (just like tape player), and there's a front aux-in for an iPod too.

The headunit is rated at 19W per channel RMS with 50W per channel peak.

I was thinking of getting Infinity Reference REF505CS 5 1/4" Component Set since they'd fit with only a little work and they're spec'd at 75W RMS and 92dB sensitivity. The Infinity Reference REF605CS 6 1/2" seem'd nicer but they're rated at 90W RMS.

Would either of these speakers need too much power to be reasonably driven by my headunit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m3dia_lab said:
your front speakers should be 5x7 but alot of people put 6.5's in there. also 6.5 in the rear
Yes I already know about the speaker sizes.
Can anyone actually read and answer my questions?

Any recomendations for a component speaker set for the fronts of a 1 gen GXE driven by just an aftermarket headunit?

Is anyone running Infinity Reference REF505CS or REF605CS component speakers off just a headunit? If so, how does it sound?

·
SITH LORD in training
435 Posts
I'm running the MB QUART psd 216 PREMUIM SERIES WITH GOOD RESULTS. try also boston acoustics they have a real good rep with sound quality personally i like them as much as mb quart
and to answer your question i have not trid any Infinity brand speakers.

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
1,036 Posts
Are you planning on adding an amplifier later? Why spend soo much on a component set if your not going too?

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
if you get components you should really get an amp. get some coaxes or soemthing cheap like that and you'll be happy if you jsut want cleaner sound.

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
I have a similair question. I'll be buying new speakers before I can afford a new amp for them.. They will be components. how's it going to sound if I run them just off of the H/U until I can afford my amp for them?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In my last car i was running mb quart compponents off an Alpine Deck and it sounded really good. I'm sure an amp would have been better but it still sounded good. It was 60 x4, which probably wasn't much RMS but still did the job.

I was running those same speakers off of a pioneer deck that was only 45x4 and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the Alpine deck. Don't know if it was the little bit of extra power or if Alpine is just better.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
assassin said:
I have a similair question. I'll be buying new speakers before I can afford a new amp for them.. They will be components. how's it going to sound if I run them just off of the H/U until I can afford my amp for them?
If its a pretty good aftermarket head unit it will probably sound ok, unless the components just require a ton of power. If its the factory deck it probably won't have enough power to make them sound good. A good amp will definately make them sound the best though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts