The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i'm thinking about buying a 93 altima, but i want to have a compression test and a leakdown test done beforehand. what kind of numbers should i be looking for?

thanks
dan
95 supra tt

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Well a rule of thumb .. The readings should all be within 10% of each other , and should be around 175 lbs. or so .. as for a leak down , anything over 20% is to much ....

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
1fastaltima said:
stock compression is 9.2:1
No stock compression Ratio is 9.2:1 , stock compression is around 175+ .... Compression Ratio and doing a compression test have nothing to do with themselves ...... And You cant tell a compression ratio by doing a compession test or leakdown test ....

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
SHAWN said:

No stock compression Ratio is 9.2:1 , stock compression is around 175+ .... Compression Ratio and doing a compression test have nothing to do with themselves ...... And You cant tell a compression ratio by doing a compession test or leakdown test ....
you're talkin a whole different langauge to me, SHAWN. I don't know shit about all that. All i know is the compression on an Altima is 9.2:1. 175+ and all that shit means nothing to me, what is it?

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
The compression RATIO is 9.2:1 which is basicly how much squeeze the combustion chamber has , it basicly how much room is in the cylinder at TDC... A compression test is cranking the engine with a pressure tool attached , which will tell you how much pressure the cylinder producing , this will tell you the condition of the compression rings and or valves .....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
He's talking about PSI (pounds per square inch) of pressure in the cylinder. 178 PSI is nominal with 149 PSI as minimum. There should be no more than 14 PSI difference per cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts