The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Would you guys please be kind enough to explain the Horsepower gains from these seperate parts. I'm hearing different results from people.

I called Stillen about the High Flow Intake, they claim that it will boost hp about 10%, and it looks like a regular filter

I've heard Cold/Warm Air Intakes boost 1 to 3 hp gains, the same has as the K&N filter.

I have a 99 gxe auto

Appreciate it.

·
Made in Montenegro
361 Posts
Just the K&N drop in filter will give you almost nothing.

WAI will give you better high end pickup
CAI will give you better low end.
Stillen is a WAI that replaces your stock air box with a huge cone filter.
It's up to you. Gains will be anywhere from 2 - 10 hp depending on what you get.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mrdeucie,

what would be your suggestion? I see your from nyc, what are you currently running? wai/Cai? and how's it feelin?

Thanks for you guys replies

·
Registered
73 Posts
okay mrdeucie...I'll take this one.

it goes doen like this: any mod should be looked as as a ratio. You should be thinking in terms of $$/hp. So let's use some examples:

CAI is about 195$ for the Place Racing....and let's say it gives you 5 hp, which would be nice.
that amounts to 195/5=39$ for each hp.

NOW....lets say you get the 49$ WAI (like me:D ) from Alex....and lets say it gives you only 2 hp....which should be pretty close, then that amounts to: 49/2=24.5$ for each hp.

NOW...lets say you get yourself a Hotshot header which is what??? 300$$??? giver or take.....and lets say you get 10 hp out of it....which should be close and WOULD be nice....then that would amount to: 300/10=30$ for each hp.

Soooo....a CAI for 195$ is probably not the best investment if your looking to save $$ (like me:D ).
I'd get the WAI and save the rest for something else....in the end you'd have a swell $$$ per hp package, and my son, that's what this life is about. smoke some weed....it'll make sense.

·
15,423 Posts
caswellj747 said:
okay mrdeucie...I'll take this one.

it goes doen like this: any mod should be looked as as a ratio. You should be thinking in terms of $$/hp. So let's use some examples:

CAI is about 195$ for the Place Racing....and let's say it gives you 5 hp, which would be nice.
that amounts to 195/5=39$ for each hp.

NOW....lets say you get the 49$ WAI (like me:D ) from Alex....and lets say it gives you only 2 hp....which should be pretty close, then that amounts to: 49/2=24.5$ for each hp.

NOW...lets say you get yourself a Hotshot header which is what??? 300$$??? giver or take.....and lets say you get 10 hp out of it....which should be close and WOULD be nice....then that would amount to: 300/10=30$ for each hp.

Soooo....a CAI for 195$ is probably not the best investment if your looking to save $$ (like me:D ).
I'd get the WAI and save the rest for something else....in the end you'd have a swell $$$ per hp package, and my son, that's what this life is about. smoke some weed....it'll make sense.
Alex's and the PR CAI were dynoed at 12 hp.

·
15,423 Posts
gprave said:
Hey Mrdeucie,

what would be your suggestion? I see your from nyc, what are you currently running? wai/Cai? and how's it feelin?

Thanks for you guys replies
Basically are you more interested in beating someone off the line or reeling them in later. That's what you have to decide between.

Then after that you consider that there is a chance that with the CAI you can hydrolock the engine. You can also change the CAI into a WAI though.

·
Sexy Biatch
189 Posts
so why...

Do people run out and drop $200 for the Stillen WAIs?

So basically the only noteworthy advantage of adding a WAI is the sound :)

Some of the companies claim improved mileage due to more air flow to the engine. Anyone have any experience whether that is BS or not?

·
15,423 Posts
Re: so why...

mc-fine said:
Do people run out and drop $200 for the Stillen WAIs?

So basically the only noteworthy advantage of adding a WAI is the sound :)

Some of the companies claim improved mileage due to more air flow to the engine. Anyone have any experience whether that is BS or not?
Yes people run out and pay $200 for the stillen intake but the same thing can be had by getting the JWT pop charger minus the CARB certification.

WAI give you a hp gain to they just haven't been dynoed alone from anyone I know.

You get imporved mileage, but you tend to drive with a heavier foot when you have a modded car so that cancels any mileage that can be gained from the intake.

·
Sexy Biatch
189 Posts
Re: Re: so why...

mrdeucie said:

Yes people run out and pay $200 for the stillen intake but the same thing can be had by getting the JWT pop charger minus the CARB certification.

WAI give you a hp gain to they just haven't been dynoed alone from anyone I know.

You get imporved mileage, but you tend to drive with a heavier foot when you have a modded car so that cancels any mileage that can be gained from the intake.
I am a utility type of guy so I think I will get one of the $49 ones from SWAW. I don't floor it too much so an improvement of mileage based on my current driving habits would be welcome.

A little more power + better mileage + reusable filter for $50 sounds pretty good to me.

·
15,423 Posts
Re: Re: Re: so why...

mc-fine said:

I am a utility type of guy so I think I will get one of the $49 ones from SWAW. I don't floor it too much so an improvement of mileage based on my current driving habits would be welcome.

A little more power + better mileage + reusable filter for $50 sounds pretty good to me.
don't expect the better mileage to be that apparent.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Get the one from Alex and some 10 MM washers and wingnuts. That way you will be able to plug-n-play. My install took 45 minutes and 30 of it was looking for my 10mm wrench.

·
I am the universe.
1,520 Posts
e-mail SWAW at [email protected] ask any questions you want, then go ahead and paypal them the price they give you. Or you can send them a check/M.O. i beleive too. they'll help you out w/ addresses & what not.

South West Auto Works

that's they're brand new site, don't be mad if a few of the pictures don't pop up & what not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.