The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First time using the forum. Looks great and full of info.

Anywho, We're currently involved in a lemon law case with GM. We just had twins and bought a venture minivan. What a piece of shit! 6 times at dealer for water leaks, twice for MAF sensor and twice for alternator. Towed once.

We now realize we don't need all the room and want something alot more sporty.

I've been seeing alot of info about the trannys in the 3.5. What the hell, Nissan has had the similar drive train for along time. why all the issues??

The last thing I want to do is get into another lemon, I understand it's unpredictable but should I look at another car?

Thanks Alot:D

·
Registered
432 Posts
I own a 2k2 3.5 SE, 14,000 miles, 0 mods and 0 problems. No leaks, tranny problems,shock problems,rattles.or anything else. Right now I would buy another in a second. BTW this is my first Japanese or Foreign car for that matter.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
10 months 24k+ no rattles squeeks, knock on wood. The only issue I've had is with a little oil consumption (3/4 qt every 3k)but that may or not be caused by the car being switched to synthetic too quickly (5k). Other than that I highly recommend the car.

·
*Donating Member* Member
878 Posts
I have had my 3.5 SE since June 2002, and have just passed 9,000 miles. Relative to the automatic transmission, I have not had any real problems with it, but it takes some getting used to. It has a mind of its own sometimes. It will on occasion shift to second too soon and not want to shift back--this of course usually only happens right after you pull out into traffic and REALLY need all the acceleration you can get. I have noticed that on other occasions it will want to hang out in first gear too long, and then kind of waver for a split second before it shifts to second. However, most of the time it shifts crisp and when you need it too.

I suppose it is just some programming issue. The occurences of the unpredictable behavior have been rare--probably less than 10 times over the last 8 months.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Altimaxnh: some people would say 3/4 of a qt every 3K is good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
to dc3plt
I have my 3.5SE since August. No tranny problems, but have experienced some squeeks and a couple of other little probs..Nothing that would have caused me to change my decison to buy the Alty however.....Also if you are a family guy you may find the ride a bit stiff. I would recommend you test drive the Altima, Honda Accord v6, and the Camry...If you want power, lots of room, and great handling then the Altima is it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
theres no real problems per say with the tanny... it just like switches from a "sport mode" to a "slug mode" whenever it damn well feels like it..

but it presents no real problem, and many people cant even notice it...

its a great car dude, compared to anything manufactured by chevrolet. the only worthwhile thing chevy makes are its trucks, the vette and the freshly killed F-body camaro...

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
NJalt said:
Altimaxnh: some people would say 3/4 of a qt every 3K is good.
It was worse about 10k ago, more like a qt ever 2k miles. It has really settled in the last few months. I have no problems with what it's doing now, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a dinoholic in the making!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Altimaxnh said:
may or not be caused by the car being switched to synthetic too quickly (5k).
Is this an issue with many cars factory filled with Mobil 1? They still "break in." I hope because I switched at 200mi. :D Guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys, I'm considering getting an Altima too...I'm actually twisted between the Alitma and the Sentra SER....both seem to have issues...Altima has the mysterious MAF problem I've been reading about, and the SER has a bad catalytic converter. I'm not so much worried about the tranny's "slug mode", but other problems are important to me. I currently have a completely modded B14 sentra automatic, and had no problems. I'm just curious as to why stock Altimas and Sentras are having so many problems. :(

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
We've got both in our driveway and I would recommend either car to anyone. The only problem the seR has is one of the air vents has restricted airflow, and the alti had the forementioned oil consumption. The biggest problem we have with the cars is that between the 2 of us we've been pulled over 3 times. Of course the wife finds here way out of the ticket and I get slammed! Hmm....I wonder what her secret is????:D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the input man. I appreciate it. I realized that even though the cars have problems, this is only a small percentage of all the cars out there, so its not a very representative percentage. I will shoot for the 3.5 altima, but if the 2.5 is nice too I'll take it....main problems being 1)how much will I get for the sentra, and 2)how much will they want for the altima. :( I prefer the altima though, because I have long legs...and the back seat of the sentra doesn't have enough room for passengers behind me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Big BOOBS maybe??????

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
andre1 said:
Thanks for the input man. I appreciate it. I realized that even though the cars have problems, this is only a small percentage of all the cars out there, so its not a very representative percentage. I will shoot for the 3.5 altima, but if the 2.5 is nice too I'll take it....main problems being 1)how much will I get for the sentra, and 2)how much will they want for the altima. :( I prefer the altima though, because I have long legs...and the back seat of the sentra doesn't have enough room for passengers behind me.
PM me I'll let you know what we did for both cars. If I were you I'd go after the alti because it has much more space.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, the altima is about a fender length in front of the SER right now....by the way, what do you mean by "what we did for both cars?" You mean you bought them together, or fixed the problems?

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Sorry that wasn't very clear was it. I bought my alti last april then went back in august and picked up an 02 spec v on lease for the wife. Both cars have been great, the alti has only been in so the dealership could track the oil it was using and the spec just went in last week for restricted airflow out of the upper air vents. Other than that they cars have been excellent. Alti has 25k on it and the spec has about 9k. Either way you can't lose. I prefere the alti because it has so much more room in it.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I picked up my 2k SE automatic in June '02 and now have 14k miles. I have not had any problems with the car and love to drive it around. It is a great car and I average 26 mpg and the tires are showing little wear. One disapointment I had was when I found that it is governed at 125mph, it gets there way too fast.

Something I did happen to notice recently was that the rear rotors are wearing roughly (grooves) and the front are smooth. It has been 3k miles since my last oil change I am going out right now to see if it is using any oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Checked the oil and it is just below the full mark indicator. Since I never checked after the change (3500 miles ago), I will assume it was on or over full.

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
I've only heard of a handful of alti's with oil issues. Most have ended with the engine being replaced. Mine has since settled down, I've got 2k on this oil change and it's just below the top line. If you've gone that far I would be concearned at all. Before I had to add oil at 2k just to make it to 3k for the change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts