The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through the WHEELS section of our local paper yesterday and read a short column on a Consumers Report survey on 'car buyers regret most' and low and behold the Altima was #6 (out of 7) with only 58% saying they would buy another one. BTW the Kia Rio was worst at 40%.
So I asked my wife who drives our Altima 90% of time whether she would consider ever buying another one. She said that she loves the ergonomics of the car, the fact that she can keep the keys in her purse at all times and still have access to the doors, trunk etc. No problems with the drivetrain, acceleration, CVT and gets great MPG. However she doesn't like the 'feel ' of the car in comparison to her old ride (a 2007 Saturn Aura 3.5L V6 which I mostly drive now). The two cars are almost identical in size with the Altima being a bit more spacious inside with a slightly larger trunk but the Saturn weighs 275 lbs. more. She says the Saturn feels safer and likes the steering better (hydraulic vs. electric) and in the snow (both cars have snow tires) the Saturn is way better feeling. Bottom line: she probably wouldn't buy another one. :crying

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Thanks for sharing your wife's thoughts with us.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Great, I own a 2005 Frontier and a 2015 Altima, two of the vehicles on this list. The V-6 Frontier does not get great mileage, but it is a truck and it has a V-6. The turning radius is large, but again it is a truck. I love my truck and I would buy another one in a heart beat.

I did not buy the Altima for the handling, but for the more comfortable ride and it delivers on that point. At 78 I never drive aggressively any more. If I did I would buy a sports car. I have owned 9 Datsuns/Nissans and only one of them has been a bad car. However, this car is presently at the dealership having a control arm replaced. It remains to be seen whether I'll regret buying it or not. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
lol, unless something drastic changes at Nissan, outside of the coming R36, I wouldnt consider anything Nissan at the moment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will not buy another Altima (Craptima). Quite a few quality control issues I guess trying to make the car way too light by putting in cheaper quality parts. Swaybar bushings which breaks off along with brackets breaking off in less than 20,000 miles on the car. Slightly erratic jumpy speedometer at times along with tach when holding a steady speed. back up cam going dark at times then starts working normal.

·
DisgruntledOwner Advocate
502 Posts
I won't even step on an Infinti lot after my Nissan experience lol. I put a 6sp manual A4 in the garage for the fun car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I won't even step on an Infinti lot after my Nissan experience lol. I put a 6sp manual A4 in the garage for the fun car.

Most likely, I may go with a CPO Acura TL either 2012-14 model year with low miles on them. Hopefully, I can make that purchase sometime in 2016 year

·
Registered
16 Posts
This car is comfortable, soft and easy driving. Not a performer, but economical and good every day drive and commuter. Feels light at speed. And it beats me why they made the steering wheel this thin, only in Altima :)
Would I buy another? Probably not. It's too bland. Maybe a Q50 or an Audi, just to add a little fun to the mix.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I agree on the steering wheel being too thin. My wife always wants a cover on it so this time it won't seem so large to me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most likely, I may go with a CPO Acura TL either 2012-14 model year with low miles on them. Hopefully, I can make that purchase sometime in 2016 year
I owned my 2014 3.5SL for only 8 months and then had to dump it for countless reasons/problems. Although I took a bath trading it in, I was glad to see it go. Unless some day I get a GT-R, I'm done with Nissans.

I had a 2012 Acura TL Advance SH-AWD prior to the Altima and absolutely loved that car. It was rock solid and fun as hell to drive. Without absolving Nissan for a horrible product, I do realize that a fully loaded TL is not a comparator to the Altima and I'm sure played a role in my disappointment moving downstream.

I know a lot of people love their Altima, which is great - I however did not.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some people in every car forum who are in the tank for the brand the forum covers and there are others who will speak from their hearts about their likes and dislikes of any car they own. I posted my experience between the Honda Accord EX I just got rid of and the Nissan Altima SV I currently own.

I posted it here and at the Accord forum I was on. Most of the people on both forums accepted my posts nicely. The main disagreement I received was on the performance between the two cars and as I stated in my comparison, performance was not very important to me. I wanted a comfortable car and an economical car, hence I left Honda and came back to Nissan.

My biggest concern now will be the reliability of the Altima. I have already had it in the shop for a replacement of a leaking lower control arm. For me the buying experience was not great at either dealership, but Honda did a little bit better. The Honda service writer at was a great help to me as was the lifetime free oil change.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i personally wouldn't buy another altima. i don't like the CVT, the steering wheel being so thin, and the steering feel is off. I came from a 08 pathfinder that i loved. i haven't had any mechanical issues with my car but its just a commuter car to me. other than the 3 things above its a ok car. i wouldn't be upset over it if something happened to it. i plan on going back to an SUV cause of hobbies and life style.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imagine that you have 2 women.
One is sweet, caring, likes to cuddle, likes to please, and to be with you all the available time.
Another is adventurous, rugged, independent, never nagging, good in bed, and is there for you when you need it.
So this in the analogy between my Altima and the BMW 335i (sold :().
Every day life - Altima is the car. Real fun - BMW

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Altima's are Ok once you get rid of a lot of the factory bull$hit [pre cats, better timing chain components [upgraded], auto transmission valve body update, external fluid cooler [auto V6 only] etc.

Now that is mostly easy for some of us wrenchers to do to make the car more user friendly, and dependable.

I also think that the 02-06 Altima's had the best looking bodies vs any newer version, with the SER being king. But, of course, that is subjective for each person.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
One is sweet, caring, likes to cuddle, likes to please, and to be with you all the available time.
Another is adventurous, rugged, independent, never nagging, good in bed, and is there for you when you need it.
I think you proved your own point...nobody can afford TWO women.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree on the steering wheel being too thin. My wife always wants a cover on it so this time it won't seem so large to me.
Yep, what the hell these engineers wrere smoking? I put a cover on just to feel the steering, but it made the steering wheel bigger. Like steering a bus :devil

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was surprised woman 2 was a BMW 335i. I would've expected you to say she was high maintenance, expensive, cosmetically enhanced, always at the doctor's office, and still learning how to use her blinker when she drives.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts