The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this thread is supposed to belong to the Racing forum, but what the heck, I'd get more help over here...

altima has GC + KYB right now. I think she is pretty balanced, and I played it around with the lift throttle technique in corners, and the rear end would come out pretty easily.. Now, exactly when am I suppose to use this technique? before the Apex or after? If it is before, then I get better corner entry, if after the Apex, then I slow down too much...

Comment?

Heel and toe is so basic now :D

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
hey guys, something of a reunion here ! :)

well.. its hard to explain.. when you need lift off oversteer, you instinctively know it cos you're running too wide... usually you'll jab off it just before or during the apex to tighten up as ashura said..

basically when your tires screech a lil too much, get off... u want that sweet spot when you induce a *slight* screech in your tires for the total duration of the turn.. at that point u know you cant get faster than that without a more capable car/setup.

ps: how'd it go with whiteline rani?

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe, no whiteline for the yellow brotha... only enjoying the GC :D + SE rims...

and I have a new tranny + clutch (ACT SS) put in...

I need better tires since I am pushing the limit on the ones I have right now...

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question... so the U chassis is pretty balanced that we can actually use lift throttle to turn better :dunno:? and ASHURA, does the U12 come with STC also?

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
Super Toe Control? No. U11, T12, J30, U12 never got that.

the throttle lift you seems to be describing applies to all cars, it's just more noticable in FF since the weight mainly concentrated up front.

If I'm already on the right line, and if at the same time the tires screech, I'd just floor it and let it slide to the exit or next apex. But I only do that when it's dry, in the wet I still have to constantly adjust throttle input.

...here's the setup I'm currently running..
FASB: 26mm hollow(Stock, the car produce too much inside wheel spin w/o LSD)
RASB: 22mm hollow(off a minivan, stock got 12mm twig)
F/R struts: U13 GR-2/U11-T12-J30-U12 GR-2 (I like their behaviour better than the tokico)
F/R springs: U13 intrax/U12 stock (123#, 11.7" long-stock free length)
F/R camber: 0/0

Yes, that's so very street..but if it works, it works... :D
anyone can fill in the numbers on intrax?

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
yeah, what ash said.. but there is an important distinction to make.

one is lift off oversteer which is what you are talking about with the alty..

the other is throttle steering.

both are used to turn better (or sharper), but the latter is where you need the well-balanced RWD car... thats where in the instance when you are nearing the apex of a turn that you normally wouldnt make at that speed (run wide) you dump the gas a little to bring the rear out... this is why on a track (that suits this technique) a well sorted RWD car can be a lot quicker than FWD, or even AWD.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you're driving correctly you really shouldn't need it. Sliding = slow in nearly all cases. It can be useful in autox, but I would never do this on the street.

I believe its also call trail braking.

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not getting enough good tractions after Apex, which is quite understandable... now I am just thinking if I could carry more speed into the corner by lifting the thorrtle, since after apex (with lift thorttle will slow down the car too much...

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
Ran,
give me a reason why you think you'll be able to carry in more speed into the corner by lifting off the throttle..

Wanski,
the only things limiting a FWD from a RWD at a track that suits throttle steering are traction and driver. So, what to do then? If it's a cat and mouse chase game, then being patient and consistent will more likely favor the FWD.

Even the most neutrally setup RWD will eventually understeer -when you tire the front tyres-, and that's by subjecting more abuse to them than what they're designed to handle.
So, with that in mind, there are 3 solutions: change your technique (give LFB a try), put on better tyres up front, or do both.

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ashura,

I couldn't think of an explaination - damn it. However, I definitely agree on "being consistent"...

now the question is:
"how (to achieve) can FWD car have higher corner entry speed than RWD"
whats the fastest way to get out of a corner with a FWD car?

thanks Ashura :)

wish PT would jump into this thread
ASHURA said:
Ran,
give me a reason why you think you'll be able to carry in more speed into the corner by lifting off the throttle..

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
how to outrun a RWD into a corner... drag race and block his/her line (that may get you a black flag though)
fastest way out of a corner with FWD... throttle steer..same with any other car..

this may sound silly, but more often than not, the fast way is to slow down.

·
RIP 6/24/07
1,611 Posts
ASHURA said:
this may sound silly, but more often than not, the fast way is to slow down.
It does sound silly but it is probably the truest saying when it comes road course style racing.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
lift throttle "oversteer" can briefly tighten your line and can be beneficial. some cars aren't slow in fast out cars.

·
2.0T, 2.3T, and 2.4 N/A
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yummy... I lowered the car this afternoon from about .5 inch lower than stock height to pretty much 2 finger gap now... Car behaves different now - very very good handling... Imagine when I get some new tires :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts