The Nissan Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 2.5 SV, 2000 miles - wife's car. Noticed the sweet smell of coolant one day as I was exiting the car. Took a peek under the car. Nothing. Few days later I get the same odor. This time I pop the hood and take a look at the expansion tank. Sure enough, there is coolant pooled on top and where the return line mounts to the reservoir. No way this is normal so I have my wife call the stealership and schedule an inspection. Get a call the next afternoon saying the car is ready, nothing was found to be wrong. Service rep it was
' NORMAL ' for ' ALL ' cars to force coolant out of the reservoir. Ummm, yeah, in what alternate universe is this ' NORMAL '? Okay, not going to call you out. Yet.

3 days later I check under the hood, sure enough, there is coolant pooled on the reservoir and a nice residue trail from the return line, down the side of the tank. Car going back in tomorrow for another ' inspection '. I should also mention that after the first inspection I checked the reservoir cap. Wasn't even finger tight. :|

Anyone else experience this issue?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Only time I have seen this happen is with head gasket issues...coolant is boiling inside the engine and the resulting air pockets in that closed system force large amounts of liquid out of the rad into the expansion tank which then overflows.

It is NOT normal. Find another dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appointment tomorrow afternoon. Keeping documents as if this continues and is not corrected we will Lemon Law it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Appointment tomorrow afternoon. Keeping documents as if this continues and is not corrected we will Lemon Law it.
The beauty of anonymous Internet forums is illustrated in this posting. The words "Lemon Law" are thrown around like candy at Halloween.

My advice? Sell your car, you will never be happy with it.

California’s Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, more commonly referred to as the California Lemon Law, was passed into state law over 39 years ago in order to provide relief to buyers of problematic vehicles in the State of California. The Law applies to vehicles that were purchased or leased in the state of California wherein the auto dealerships have been unable to repair the vehicle within the warranty period after being given a reasonable number of opportunities (statutory specifics apply). For qualifying vehicles, the automobile manufacturer must take the vehicle back as a “lemon”, or replace the vehicle with a comparable model (if leased or purchased new) keeping the current lease or loan in place. A replacement vehicle under the Law only occurs if both consumer and manufacturer agree to a replacement.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I love the "normal" card dealerships pull.
Yeah that's normal, okay.

Reactions: raginred03S

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The beauty of anonymous Internet forums is illustrated in this posting. The words "Lemon Law" are thrown around like candy at Halloween.

My advice? Sell your car, you will never be happy with it.

California’s Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, more commonly referred to as the California Lemon Law, was passed into state law over 39 years ago in order to provide relief to buyers of problematic vehicles in the State of California. The Law applies to vehicles that were purchased or leased in the state of California wherein the auto dealerships have been unable to repair the vehicle within the warranty period after being given a reasonable number of opportunities (statutory specifics apply). For qualifying vehicles, the automobile manufacturer must take the vehicle back as a “lemon”, or replace the vehicle with a comparable model (if leased or purchased new) keeping the current lease or loan in place. A replacement vehicle under the Law only occurs if both consumer and manufacturer agree to a replacement.
I see what you did there Throckmorton. Car has already been in once where-in the service rep said with a straight face ' all cars leak like this '. Would not be fair NOT to give this establishment their chances to remedy the issue. Would have been much easier if on the first trip in they would have checked and replaced reservoir cap if found to be defective as well as checked the nipple to which the return line is attached. Both are sources of leaks. Could just be a bad reservoir/cap from factory. Could also be something deeper causing coolant to be forced out. There is no reason what-so-ever that a brand new car should have a coolant leak that, unbeknownst to me, is a-okay. I drive the piss out of my R and not a single drop of coolant or the succulent smell of maple syrup.

All the little lady is expecting is 'trouble-free ' driving for at least a few years. This is her second Altima so it clearly shows she likes the brand.

Park - you would feel comfortable driving a vehicle that is leaking coolant from two locations for an unknown reason? Throckmorton, I think I may have found said buyer!

Point is, brand new car should not have coolant leaks. If you want to bend over and take it in the rear sans lube while the service techs diddle daddle with your car on multiple occasions, more power to ya.

Personally, I'm hoping it's just a defective reservoir. Will keep this updated.

Have a great weekend all!:wink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Coolant cap not the issue. The top wrench met us at the service department. Popped the hood, saw coolant pooled around the rubber return line and running down the sides of the reservoir. Tested the fit of the cap ( no leaks there ) finger tight as should be. Took another gander at the return line. Was soft and bulging at reservoir connection.

Replacing reservoir w/cap, rubber return line/hose clamp. Pressure test system when done.

SA and tech were both incredulous that the first SA would utter ' that's normal '.

The future looks good and the little lady can hopefully enjoy her travels worry free.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do that fixed the issue? Sorry to bring it back up but I'm having a coolant issue myself. Not quiet like yours but my level is down to nothing on the res. Tank I filled it like less than 6 months ago because it was below min and now it's just empty. No visible leaks so I'm thinking it's burning. I have aftermarket bolt one and I'm sure they will blame it on those I'll have to remove everything before taking it in only to get the oh that's normal. Car only has 22k on it. Any one else had this kind of issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
You can pull the plugs to see if it's burning...colour will tell you. You can then do a pressure test to see if the head gasket is gone for that cylinder...since you have the intake off anyways. Might be less work than removing the bolt ons.

Your rate of loss seems higher than a slow cylinder head gasket leak. If you have the VQ, check the weep port on the water pump...could just be the WP seal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's 4 cyl taking it in to the dealer see what they say I took my bolt ons off so they can't say that's the cause. I took the cap off the radiator and it was a bit low there so. So I'm taking in tomorrow see what bs they come up with but if it is burning it, I might have to part ways n get something else depend on what they say. I fouls want a car this new with internal issues like that. I didn't want to take a plug off till they look at it under warranty. I'm sure they will say it's normal.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just took it in to the dealer and asked specifically to have the coolant system pressure tested and they said the water pump, the one of the pipes to the block and the revs. Tank was seeping. Car only has 22k miles everything is being covered under warranty. I suggest that someone with coolant issues take it in to get looked at idk why the revisor tanks are leaking. I never saw any coolant leaking down so it must have been a fine spray. I change my own oil and didn't notice a leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for late reply Cruz. So far so good on the replacement parts. No more ' coolant leaks '. Took it for a drive up north ( 1.5hrs ). All went well going and coming. If you know the 15 you know the hills and valleys that go along with it.

22k seems quite early for a water pump to fail. Could have been bad from factory. Wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ya still waiting for dealer to get parts in at the end of the week hopefully. Having them do both thermostats at my cost cause warranty won't cover them since they aren't bad. But if there replacing the water pump it should be done at the same time. So if something fails it's on them.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
369 Posts
My 2015 2.5 has been doing the very same since new?‍♂ but it never over heats. Changed my spark plugs last july and my radiator cap has also been changed. There is no visible leaks and my oil aways looks good when I change it (no Milk in the crank case) I'm gonna have my water pump checked per your advice. It does make sense after all. It's just weird that's all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 2015 2.5 has been doing the very same since new?‍♂ but it never over heats. Changed my spark plugs last july and my radiator cap has also been changed. There is no visible leaks and my oil aways looks good when I change it (no Milk in the crank case) I'm gonna have my water pump checked per your advice. It does make sense after all. It's just weird that's all. View attachment 99614 View attachment 99613
So back when i had mine serviced it ended up being the water pump leaking and the tube that feeds it. That and the tank was replaced as well. I replaced the cap a while after when I noticed it was seeping. I'm at 55K and haven't changed my plugs yet I'll wait till 90K or so. Since my last posts about this I have had a rear wheel bearing replaced and the transmission. Cars doing well and long paid off I don't want another car payment and to be honest there isn't anything out there that makes me say I gotta have that car. From some older post i see a lot of people got rid of their altimas and quite a few people went to Hondas. OUCH! Like Chevy guys going with a Ford. LOL but US market cars are getting cookie cutter and the days of aftermarket performance seem to be a thing of the past. Too be honest I am a Die hard Nissan guy at my core but I feel Infiniti is way over priced compared to say Lexus.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 2015 2.5 has been doing the very same since new?‍♂ but it never over heats. Changed my spark plugs last july and my radiator cap has also been changed. There is no visible leaks and my oil aways looks good when I change it (no Milk in the crank case) I'm gonna have my water pump checked per your advice. It does make sense after all. It's just weird that's all. View attachment 99614 View attachment 99613
So back when i had mine serviced it ended up being the water pump leaking and the tube that feeds it. That and the tank was replaced as well. I replaced the cap a while after when I noticed it was seeping. I'm at 55K and haven't changed my plugs yet I'll wait till 90K or so. Since my last posts about this I have had a rear wheel bearing replaced and the transmission. Cars doing well and long paid off I don't want another car payment and to be honest there isn't anything out there that makes me say I gotta have that car. From some older post i see a lot of people got rid of their altimas and quite a few people went to Hondas. OUCH! Like Chevy guys going with a Ford. LOL but US market cars are getting cookie cutter and the days of aftermarket performance seem to be a thing of the past. Too be honest I am a Die hard Nissan guy at my core but I feel Infiniti is way over priced compared to say Lexus.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
369 Posts
I too have been a long time Nissan fan. My first car was a 1997 Nissan maxima, was a great car never gave me any trouble. All of my great uncles drove Nissan's. But these Nissan's of today are built with planed obsolescence. And all cars do break down at some point in their life. It's just a matter of what parts of the car breaks, how much its gonna cost to fix said break downs, and how often it may break down. My cars currently at the dealership getting an ac line repaired. I also told the advisor about my disappearing coolant. I was told yesterday that they did not find any leaks.?‍♂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts