The Nissan Club banner

Coolant loss. Coolant reservior

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  korner 
#1 ·
Hey yall, i have a 2005 altima 2.5 every 2 weeks i have to fill up the coolant resevior. Don't have any visiable leaks, radiator remains full or almost full all the time. Did a compression test and had compression on all cylinders. Anybody know what it could be?
Also is the coolant resevior vent suppose to be completely open? Wasnt sure if there was supposed to be something there..
Thanks guys

#2 ·
I had a coolant loss problem in my daughters car, 2003 Altima 4 cylinder where I had a crack at the base of the coolant reservoir cap, you couldn't see it really.

Get a radiator pressure tester. You can buy from O'reilly's (like $165) and test the coolant system. Pressurize the system and see if it holds pressure. Pump it up and then let it sit a while and see if it holds pressure. If not there is a leak somewhere and hopefully it will become visible with the pressure test. This is your best diagnosis test! You very well might have a leak on a hose seal, or a pin hole in a hose where perhaps a tiny stream is coming out under pressure and evaporating on the heat of the engine without you noticing or smelling any coolant.

You might also have a thermostat that is failing. Watch you temp, and see if it changes. If thermostat does not open then the pressure goes into overflow reservoir and perhaps overflows a hair giving a gradual loss of fluid. Not as likely as a leak in a hose, but something I just dealt with, so it comes to mind.

Worst case scenario is you have a small breach in head gasket and are burning coolant there. But if compression test is good then not the most likely problem. Good luck.

#3 ·
Does orilleys have a coolant pressure kit to fit the neck of the radiator specificly? I rented one from advance and the only one it had to fit it was a barbbed universal fitting that didnt work for nothing. Also does the coolant resevior suppose to have a open vent on it? Thank you, craig

#4 ·
Yes the reservoir needs an open vent to allow ingress/egress of air to compensate for fluid level changes. The air vent is usually hooked to minimize the amount of crud that gets in, and in the case of boil over, directs it down and away from anyone opening the hood.

#5 ·
I had the same issue. loss of coolant never found out where it came from till it overheated on day.then it was time to tear the puppies head off. I sure found out where that coolant was going soaking up the pre cat. Eating up my pre cat causing that crappie to get sucked back into the head slowly. So just some food for thought. Where is that coolant really going no signs of leakage??? Oh where oh where has my coolant have gone oh where oh where can it bee!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.