The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
courtesy light for driver side door is not working when driver side door open. it worked if i open any door but why its not working when i open driver side door ? so i change door switch from driver side to passenger side door still not working. what could be wrong ? is there a fuse for this light if so where is it located ?

Thank you

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,885 Posts
Is the driver door switch connector and wire in good shape? If you ground that wire, does the courtesy light come on?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the driver door switch connector and wire in good shape? If you ground that wire, does the courtesy light come on?
there is only one wire that connect to switch and wire looks fine. so i unhook driver side door switch and replace it with passenger side still not working. there is no power in the driver side door wire.

·
6,885 Posts
there is only one wire that connect to switch and wire looks fine. so i unhook driver side door switch and replace it with passenger side still not working. there is no power in the driver side door wire.
There won't be power supplied, all that switch does is ground an input to the 'computer' that controls the interior lighting. Please ground the silver/black wire that goes to the driver door switch, if the lights don't behave like they should, there is a problem with the wire (somewhere between the door and the BCM), or the BCM itself (since the light works find with other switches, the we know the fuse and BCM output are working ok).

Since you didn't specify (naughty), your year, I took a guess and have provided the '03 diagram below.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There won't be power supplied, all that switch does is ground an input to the 'computer' that controls the interior lighting. Please ground the silver/black wire that goes to the driver door switch, if the lights don't behave like they should, there is a problem with the wire (somewhere between the door and the BCM), or the BCM itself (since the light works find with other switches, the we know the fuse and BCM output are working ok).

Since you didn't specify (naughty), your year, I took a guess and have provided the '03 diagram below.

View attachment 100814
sorry
its a 2004 altima 2.5s

·
6,885 Posts
Matters not, diagram will be similar if not identical. Properly ground the wire, let us know the result.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matters not, diagram will be similar if not identical. Properly ground the wire, let us know the result.
I replace the driver side door switch and it still don't work when open driver side door. it worked when i open passenger side door.

·
6,885 Posts
The switch makes contact between the wire going to the BCM which controls the light and the car body, which provides the ground signal. If there is significant rust or paint in the area where the switch is trying to make contact with the body, then the BCM won't receive the proper signal hence my request for your to MANUALLY GROUND THE WIRE THAT ATTACHES TO THE SWITCH via some other method...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The switch makes contact between the wire going to the BCM which controls the light and the car body, which provides the ground signal. If there is significant rust or paint in the area where the switch is trying to make contact with the body, then the BCM won't receive the proper signal hence my request for your to MANUALLY GROUND THE WIRE THAT ATTACHES TO THE SWITCH via some other method...
but it lit when i open passenger side door ? also there is no rust at all

·
6,885 Posts
Ok, so with the connector disconnected, insert a paperclip into the socket with the green wire, and then touch the paperclip to the door latch in the upper right. If the light doesn't turn on, you have a wire or BCM problem. If you don't want to mess with either, you can splice a wire from the driver side door switch wire over to the passenger side wire. That way, if either door opens the lights will behave as expected.

You can either run the wire under the carpet, or up the front through the dash and back to the passenger door switch.

The alternative would be to try replacing your BCM module, or at least verifying that the green wire from the driver door shows a 'ground' signal at the BCM connector when the door is opened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts