The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
97 Altima, auto.

Previous owner hit a curb hard and cracked transmission pan. They had pan & fluid replaced, now it only has 3rd gear. Putting it in reverse is like putting it in park, but it won't rev past 1500rpm. 1st gear just revs to high heaven and hardly moves. It operates in 'drive' only. Each gear will engage, and the linkage is in great shape with firm and predictable operation. think it's stuck in 3rd

Of course, got a code for P0731 for incorrect 1st gear ratio.

I read the solenoids contain common grounds to operate, and that 3rd gear is the default for when solenoids are not operating. Of course, fail safe is generally 2nd gear, but my OD light does not blink or indicate limp mode.

I have the FSM, considering going over all wiring and popping the pan off to inspect solenoids. May remove valve body but what's the point past solenoids you know? Unless there's a physical dent that damaged passage ways.

I have run transmissions dry before accidentally. Considering it hit a curb, about-instantly lost fluid, and it was towed away [owner didn't attempt to drive], I doubt it would fry the clutch packs this badly. Or maybe the previous owner DID try to drive the crap out of it and figured out the pan was cracked the hard way. This is actually what I'm expecting. A good flush was done at the very least as no fluid smells burnt.

If anybody has knowledge about these transmissions, let me know! Google search hasn't been friendly to me [after searching 50 pages of increasingly irrelevant content, i begin to wonder about how well their search algorithm fits the nature of forum searching. rant rant rant]

thanks mai bros
-TunaTrky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I drove the altima up onto some car ramps, but only 3/4 way up since reverse didnt work. Found a brand new tranny pan, transmission lines, wiring, new axle. I wanted to bring it down so i took the ebrake off. The parking pin starts slipping and BOOM it slammed into reverse for a second. After that every gear works... Crazy! Drives great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts