The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have a crank seal leak (oil leaking at the bottom of the engine?) every year? I had new crank seals repleced on my 1996 Altima in May 2000 by the dealer and just recently was told by the dealer that I have crank seal leaks again. The dealer would charge me $150 ($6.39 parts the rest labor) to fix it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
isnt that convinient that it leaks again only 1.5 years later....and this is the dealer. There are two causes for it.....extreme abuse and weather, or the dealer didnt properly install it/defective part.....That sucks......you should see if they'll eat half the labor charge on it,

·
Dad
316 Posts
for my Sentra you could get a cheap seal or a bit more expensive (a couple bucks) urethane one. I got the better one and never had a problem after that (and I drove the sh*t out of it)

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
once fixed it shouldnt leak for quite a while .... Are you changing your oil every 3000 miles ??? If not thats your problem .....If you are the Dealer is screwing something up , or you crank pulley is grooved .....

G

·
I was leaking oil... I think from my rear main seal. I was also burning a bit of oil. I started using max life oil and both stopped. The leak has not come back, but my car is blowing a puff of smoke every once in a while again. I think its oil getting past the valve stem seals. I'm just gonna leave it be until its time for my engine to get a complete rebuild.

Demmy

·
Malfunctioning Member
1,191 Posts
pleeeaaassseee help me out guys..

Peterson said:
Are you running an underdrive pulley?
okay, this may be a stupid question but here goes....(putting on flame-proof suit)

The leak has gotten worse, so I'm finally gonna get the seal replaced. My question is, should I go ahead and buy a underdrive pulley and have it installed at the same time? Or should I fix the leak and install the pulley later?

I didn't plan on getting one until later this year, but why pay double rate?? :confused: :confused:

I need to have this done soon, because I really don't want to drive my car to VA with it leaking this much oil. :(

·
H.N.I.C.
2,666 Posts
i wonder if this is wat the fools at Nissan meant wen they said my timing valve cover needed to be resealed?? :confused:
'cause the leak seems to be toward the bottom of the engine....
i fixed my valve cover leak a couple weeks ago, n that cut down my smoke a great deal..
i wonder if this will stop the occasional smokin' even more...
how hard is it to change the seal??

·
Malfunctioning Member
1,191 Posts
Peterson said:
No. I asked because people tend to get a leak there after they install an underdrive pulley. Installing one won't fix your problem, it may even make it worse.

The underdrive pulley is a performance upgrade.
I guess I wasn't all too clear. I know it's a performance upgrade, I plan on getting one. My problem is that, I have a crank seal leak. I've had it for awhile now....it's gotten pretty bad. So since I have to replace the seal(gasket...u know what I mean), should I just ahead and install the underdrive pulley as well? Since I'll most likely have to replace it again if I get the pulley at a later date.

Did that make more sense, sorry if my first post was confusing.

·
H.N.I.C.
2,666 Posts
NISmo987 said:
man i getting ripped my daler wants like 700$
mine quoted me that to fix the timing chain cover leak...
so i'm guessin' this is the gasket they were talkin' about...

pillage, how hard was it to fix..??

·
"Realistic Dreams"
121 Posts
Mine also started leaking after installing my underdrive pulley , so a good answer to your question is install the pulley before you replace the seal . That way you dont replace the seal and then install the pulley and have to replace the seal again .

·
Malfunctioning Member
1,191 Posts
john95se said:
Mine also started leaking after installing my underdrive pulley , so a good answer to your question is install the pulley before you replace the seal . That way you dont replace the seal and then install the pulley and have to replace the seal again .
That's what I was looking for!! :) So I should go ahead and have them install the pulley while I'm having the seal changed...why pay for the labor twice. Thanks man! :)

·
11,384 Posts
Get your underdrive pulley and check to see if it has a flange on the back side. If it does, it would be a good move to file it down. It's that flange that goes in too far and wears out the seal.

So, once you have the pulley and you're ready to go, then go ahead and change the seal, then install the underdrive pulley.

If you install the pulley first, you'll just have to remove it to redo the seal at a later time.

So, if you're paying to have the seal replaced, when they are done, have them install your underdrive pulley instead of the stock unit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.