The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I waste anyone's time here but I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer to my question. Maybe (and probably) I've had my past amps (only 2) hooked up wrong but I have always just hooked the rca's to the L/R inputs on the amp and set the crossover to LP and figured I had a mono signal. Is this correct? I know rthompson had mentioned once that he had never heard of only connecting one channel (one rca) to the amp (which is what my USAcoustics 300watt amp manual recommends for some reason). I have done this but on the net I read that using a Y adaptor like this 'sums' the signal/voltage and can actually damage the HU. It gave some indepth solution of taking the rca ends off, doing some rewiring/soldering, adding some resistors, etc. How do you guys create a mono signal from a bridged stereo amp? (Some say the signal to amp is automatically mono when bridged, is this true?)
I just want to make sure I getting the most out of the amp/sub!

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
a. using a y-adapter is fine, it connects the rca's in parallel, and is actually easier on the head unit. (same input impedance, two output channels = 1/2 the current on each)

b. only connecting one RCA isn't a great idea either, as you only get 1/2 the signal.

c. yes, the output of a bridged amp is going to sum the signals of the L & R channels.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, then I'm going to leave the Y adaptor off, I didn't feel too comfortable with only having one hooked up, and sad to say, the amp's book AND Crutchfield said the same thing. (Though two other 'techs' gave me yes and no answers:rolleyes: ).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts