1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. so ive got some questions:

this is my current setup so you have an idea:

Kenwood excelon deck

Sony 4 channel amp - powering front components (seperate tweeter and driver) and powering rear door speakers. Each set of speakers on seperate channel of 4 channel amp. Kenwood deck sending Front channel signal to sony 4 channel Amp.

Sony 2 channel amp - powering rear deck speakers. Kenwood deck sending rear channel signal to sony 2 channel amp.

Kicker amp powering 2 12' rockford fosgate speakers in sealed box. Kenwood deck sending low end channel to Kicker amp

Questions:

1. When initially setting up the system is it better to turn the deck volume up 95% before turning the volume up on the amps?

2 . Is it better to use the crossover built into deck or the crossovers built in on amps?

3. What is the average crossover range (like where do you set it at) for fronts, rear deck and subwoofer channels?

4. If anyone is willing to discuss this more with me, please contact me via email or instant messanger... email and IM screen name in profile.

Thanks.
Brian

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
its mainly about what you like...

the best way to set your shit up is, turn the volume up loud until it starts to distort....

adjust the gain down a little bit then thats about it...

·
Registered
288 Posts
ok...so i've got some answers:

1) Actually the rule of thumb is ~75%. Basically you just turn the amp gains down all the way, then turn your h/u volume to 75-80%, then slowly turn up your gains until you hear distortion, then back the gains down a tiny bit and you're done with that.

2) That question totally depends on what deck you have and what amps you have...you can even use both crossovers "together" by setting them to the same frequencies. If you do this then the crossover slopes basically add together. I personally prefer the x-overs on my h/u because they have a steeper slope plus you can adjust them from your seat which is nice.

In your case I think you'll have to use the amps build in x-over for the tweeter at least...I'm not familiar with your deck, but mine only has 2-way x-overs, so you can set a low pass for the sub and a high pass for the other speakers, but you'll need an additional level of separation between you components since you are having them actively amped.

3) you're pretty much gonna want to leave your fronts and rears high passed at the same frequency and your sub low passed at the same frequency. The frequency mostlyl depends mostly on what speakers you have and your personal tastes. If your mids play well pretty low or your sub plays pretty well high you can set your x-overs to allow the drivers to play their best frequency.

Usually people set their crossovers at ~80 Hz...but I prefer around 100 Hz just because i think my subs play better than my mids at those frequencies.

-Ryan

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, ill explain a little more about what my deck/amps have:

kenwood Excelon deck:
-Preouts: Front, Rear, Non-Fading
--- Front and Rear frequencies can be set to 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180 or 220Hz
--- non-fading preamp frequencies can be set to 50Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz or "through

Sony 2 channel amp: I REALIZED I MESSED UP BEFORE.. ITS A 2 CHANNEL AMP FOR THE FRONTS
- front channel of HU going into the amp (split with y-adapter into each channel) {left channel of HU split into the 2 left channels of amp} {right channel of HU split into the 2 right channels of amp}

1 channel of amp sending signal to JL Audio front components (the components have their own crossover splitting the tweeter and driver)

1 channel of amp sending signal to JBL rear door drivers

-- EACH CHANNEL HAS ITS OWN GAIN AND CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES THAT CAN BE SET ON THE AMP

Sony 1 channel Amp (I REALIZED I MESSED UP BEFORE.. ITS A 1 CHANNEL AMP FOR THE REAR DECK)

-- rear channel of HU sending signal to amp.
-- amp sending signal to rear deck speakers

--CHANNEL HAS ITS OWN GAIN AND CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES THAT CAN BE SET ON THE AMP

Kicker Sub Amp:
-- Non fading out from HU to AMP
-- amp sending signal to 2 12" subs in sealed box

CHANNEL HAS ITS OWN GAIN THAT CAN BE SET ON THE AMP
- but has a crossover module that attaches to AMP. (I dont remember the crossover module setting)

Does this help anymore??

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
i have my highs x-over at 80hz and low pass at 80hz all at my head unit...

sounds good....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The crossover on your H/U is electronic, while the crossovers on your amps are passive crossovers. The crossover on your H/U will be more efficient (and will probably sound cleaner) than the passive ones because the signal is filtered electronically before it even reaches the amps. The simplest way to set up your crossovers would be to use the ones on your H/U and set the HP and LP to around 80hz. I prefer crossing everything over at a lower frequency, like around 65 or 70. For that I have use the crossovers on my amps, and it sounds great. The speakers in my rear deck have both a low pass crossover on them too so attenuate the high frequencies. In your case, you have a lot of speakers which gives you some flexibility. You could have the speakers in your rear doors as pure midbass by putting both low and high pass crossovers on them. It is all up to you. I can't tell you how to set the crossovers on your system simply because you have different taste and equipment than I do. Just set everything where it sounds good. For the subs, you can set the low pass anywhere from 50hz-120hz, and on your speakers, depending on how good they are, you can set the high pass as low 60hz. I have actually had my interior speakers as low as 50hz and they sounded good with the volume cranked up. Just try to balance everything and your system should sound great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts