The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first picked up my car and drove around it seemed to be almost perfectly smooth running at idle, but just noticing lately it doesn't seem as smooth. Drives fine, no problems accelerating or anything like that, just a slight vibration at idle, possible it was always there and didn't notice it at first. Maybe just me over analizing the car, any thoughts?:rolleyes:

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
Civic to Alty said:
When I first picked up my car and drove around it seemed to be almost perfectly smooth running at idle, but just noticing lately it doesn't seem as smooth. Drives fine, no problems accelerating or anything like that, just a slight vibration at idle, possible it was always there and didn't notice it at first. Maybe just me over analizing the car, any thoughts?:rolleyes:
Is it coming up through the seat or is it the whole vehicle? Or just a sound?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Curious: slight vibration at idle

theargosy said:

Is it coming up through the seat or is it the whole vehicle? Or just a sound?
Its the whole car when its sitting at idle, it is just a slight shake, not real bad but I just wondered if all 3.5 engines idled this way?
and everything else about the way it runs or drives seems to be fine.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
No

I can't even tell if mine is running or not, something is wrong with yours. Maybe u got some bad gas! Good luck with a dealer finding your problem, idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: No

wild willy said:
I can't even tell if mine is running or not, something is wrong with yours. Maybe u got some bad gas! Good luck with a dealer finding your problem, idiots!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a BIG help.....thanks alot:mad: :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
You better get it checked out :(

The car's under warrany, so there no harm... and your car is new so you shouldn't be facing problems like that. Take one of the guys from the Service Dept. in the car with you and put it on and make them listen to the noise.. hopefully they will be able to trace it down.

Good luck and this is definitely not something you should let slide..

·
Registered
15 Posts
It may be a motor mount. I have a Sunfire GT with a 2.4 liter engine and I put a motor mount insert in it to tighten up the slop of the engine twisting in the engine bay during hard acceleration. After I added the motor mount insert I felt a slight vibration at idle, especially with the air condition on.

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
My experience is that a fresh set of plugs will fire almost perfectly every time. Now as some miles begin to accumulate and some deposits form, every few revolutions or so one cylinder or another will miss occasionally. This is not dependent on the make at all. Dodge rams do it bad. When I wrote service for Dodge we would routinely get some retired whiner with too much time on his hands who would bring in his ram for a miss at idle every few thousand miles and get new plugs under warranty. Fixed it every time. My old Silverado was the same way. It was starting a bit hard, idling a little rough, so I did plugs. It ran like a top for a while and then had that very intermittent miss at idle thereafter. My Max did the same thing, and I noticed it on the Altima just in the last month or so as well. Maybe some super-duper Jacobs ignition would eliminate it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah mine started doing it at about 2000 miles. Nothing harsh. Just a little tremble. very slight. Nothing vibrating. It still accelarates very quickly so I am not concerned.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You idle RPM may be a bit low. On my previous car (Civic), it happens everytime I reset the ECU. I take a good drive (20km)before the computer re-learn all the setting (Air intake etc). And during that time, the engine idel @ 500 instead of the usual 700 which makes the car vibrate more.

You may want to have the dealer check out the ECU and make sure idling speed is correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: No

wild willy said:
Well I don't think there is somthing wrong with mine, just over analyzing the car, but others have obviously experienced somthing similar. When you get a car this great, I guess you look for something to complain about. All cars give some indication that they are running no matter how smooth, ie (slight vibration, sound, the fact that they will move when you step on the accelerator), if you can't tell it's running, maybe it's not:D

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
I tried to start my '96 Maxima quite a few times while it was running back in '96, like a moron. Then I trained myself to look at the tach first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very smart analysis, Flyboy. The 3.5 SE have electro/hydraulic motor mounts. The failure of one side "can" cause a vibration like that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vibration

I noticed the same thing about 3000 miles into the new car. It definately was not doing this before either. The engine also sometimes hesitates ever so slightly when I accelerate from a dead stop. I am taking to the dealer for the 3750mi service and will have them check it out as well as the radio popping. No other noises other than that unless you count the sunglasses in the holder (took 3 weeks to figure that one out) and the passenger seatbelt hitting on the side when the sunroof is open (2 weeks for that one). 2nd door ding at 3500mi. Got the ding after parking in BFE and also picked a spot where the only way to ding me was to park backwards. Well, the Alty killers did it. Out in the middle of nowhere, parked right next to me (backwards) and opened fire on my bare skin of a door. Left a nice little dent. I thought about torching the car that impaled my beautiful Alty but thought better since the company has cameras on site.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts