The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im tryin to make a custom cold air flow tube for my intake. kinda need help on wat material i can use for the tubing.
Wat kinda material is good for keeping the air cold?
will aluminum or steel conduct heat too easily?
HELP

·
Registered
19 Posts
hee1 said:
Im tryin to make a custom cold air flow tube for my intake. kinda need help on wat material i can use for the tubing.
HELP
I would look at trying to pull air from somwhere other than the area where the stock filter housing was, try toget the air pulling from somewhere closer to the front or down below somehow.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
PT used that metal tubing you use to vent air from your clothes dryer to outside the house. His is like 3-4" diameter. Air is scooped from behind the fog opening (he's got a 2nd gen Altima) and deposits somewhere near the stock airbox. Talk to him to get some ideas.
Jay

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThurzNite said:
PT used that metal tubing you use to vent air from your clothes dryer to outside the house. His is like 3-4" diameter. Air is scooped from behind the fog opening (he's got a 2nd gen Altima) and deposits somewhere near the stock airbox. Talk to him to get some ideas.
Jay
that was exactly wat i was thinking about doing.
but jsut wanted to know if that would be helpful to the engine or just a waste of time?
also.. if u have ne ideas on how to mount them.. please let me know
thanks

·
Registered
717 Posts
hee1 said:
HELP
3 inch mandrel bent aluminum tube-you can probably
pick it up as surplus at your local tuner shop, cut it
to fit your application and powdercoat it. Easy as pie!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: custom cai effect.. need help

SE-Rious said:

3 inch mandrel bent aluminum tube-you can probably
pick it up as surplus at your local tuner shop, cut it
to fit your application and powdercoat it. Easy as pie!
eh.. too much $$?
I was just thinking of using that vent pipe.. if u know wat i'm talkn about.. those.. bendable 5"(?) tubes

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
Don't use any of those aluminum heater duct tubing from a Home Depot or something. they are not 100% air tight. And they might implode from the vacuum created by the intake system.

You can use steel exhaust tubing. Just wrap it with header wrap or pipe insulating wrap/tape from your Home Depot, to insult it from the engine heat.

If you're going plastic, use ABS (the black one), not PCV (the white one). Under high temps, PCV will chemically break down and emit chlorine gas. I don't think it's good for the engine to be inhaling chlorine.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: Re: Re: custom cai effect.. need help

hee1 said:

eh.. too much $$?
I was just thinking of using that vent pipe.. if u know wat i'm talkn about.. those.. bendable 5"(?) tubes
Call around, I'm sure in NY there are a lot Tuner Shops
that have these things. I found mine at one here in Dallas.
$10-$20 bucks tops! Remember they are just "excess"
shop tubes that if the shop didn't use, they would just throw away anyway.

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
You can pretty much buy everything from Home Depot, this guy did a weapon R intake to his 97 Pathfinder with a custom cold air intake.

After seeing him do it, I show some friends and have done it on a 99 Pathfinder, 2000 4Runner and a 97 es300, all came out real good, just gives you a general idea of what is needed and how it will look

Maybe it will help maybe it will not:D

his Weapon R intake:
http://www.rit.edu/~jgr0346/intake/intake.html

and his custom cold air, ram air:
http://www.rit.edu/~jgr0346/ram-air/ramair.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more help!!!
i can't find ne space to put ne size pipes down to the foglight hole. Did neone take apart the whole thing and see if a 3" pipe can be fit in to the foglight hole?

·
Tofu Shop Owner
781 Posts
I actually used a combination of 2.5" PVC Piping and 2.5" flex-exhaust piping. The exhaust piping is air tight, but it will seep water between the joints... so no water gets into the air-box. I'm kinda busy right now, so I'll write more about this later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
please post a good layout of the design u made.
i'd really appresiate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts