The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 things:

A. what does mandrel bent mean? do I ask the shop to do anything besides the 2.25 piping?

B. should I just have the cat removed?

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
As far as the cat goes, if your state has smog checks then your car wont pass without the cat (if they do a visual test). If the cat isnt clogged, then it should actually produce no back pressure so i would just leave it on.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Gutting the cat won't do much performance wise, but will pollute the environment like nuts.

Mandrel bent, as oppose to crush bent, means that when the pipe is bent, the opening shape and size is preserved. Crush bent reduces the opening size in the bend. Like taking a nonflex drinking straw and bending it.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
mandrel bent is when the pipe is bent without any crinkles inside. It's smooth, therefore allows for better flow. Not really noticable unless you're squeezin the bottle or runnin PSI.

Just get a high flow cat. Better than guttin the OEM one, and works better for performance

$60 at www.summitracing.com

·
Registered
373 Posts
djsassan said:
2 things:

A. what does mandrel bent mean? do I ask the shop to do anything besides the 2.25 piping?

B. should I just have the cat removed?
Probably obvious, but make sure they use aluminized pipe. The steel piping looks like shit, plus you gotta worry about rust.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Re: Re: Custom catback

Havik 2K said:

Probably obvious, but make sure they use aluminized pipe. The steel piping looks like shit, plus you gotta worry about rust.
ever heard of Stainless Steel? Doesn't rust. Guaranteed that's what all muffler shops use.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Custom catback

1fastaltima said:

ever heard of Stainless Steel? Doesn't rust. Guaranteed that's what all muffler shops use.
From what I heard, you can only get stainless steel piping if it's a premade full catback system, like Greddy. But not sure. Has anybody else had a catback system custom made with stainless steel pipe?

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom catback

Havik 2K said:

Has anybody else had a catback system custom made with stainless steel pipe?
Yup, me. $150 for parts and labor. I brought in the muffler and the cat, they welded it all on with 2.25" stainless steel piping.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom catback

1fastaltima said:

Yup, me. $150 for parts and labor. I brought in the muffler and the cat, they welded it all on with 2.25" stainless steel piping.
I said "anybody else". That would exclude you. Just messin with ya. But that sucks man cause the guy at shop told me you couldn't get custom made stainless steel piping. Oh well.

·
Banned
865 Posts
I wish I lived on the coast like you guys, every estimate I've gotten for stainless piping and mandrel bending cost like over 1g because there's only 2 places in MN that have mandrel bending machines, and not local. Also even if I go with aluminized, if I get a full cat-back (flex-pipe, new air sensor, and welded) $300 was the cheapest. Most people say go to small shops but the smaller the shop the more expensive it is around here. The cheapest so far I found around here is at car x for a partial catback 2.25 piping and welding on a muffler I already have for $120. When I have the money I think I'm gonna just a get a greddy.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
This might be of some help....

http://www.sentra.net/project/scc-02-01.shtml

Sport Compact Car's project 200sx 1.6
You need IE. The page doesn't format properly in Netscape.

They kept the stock cat, and were still able to make some good power.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SuprStyl said:
As far as the cat goes, if your state has smog checks then your car wont pass without the cat (if they do a visual test). If the cat isnt clogged, then it should actually produce no back pressure so i would just leave it on.
Hey Jimbo how much nitrous are you shooting?

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Jimbo? Its a 65 shot, but my name is joel...

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, now that the car is running normal again, I LOVE the catback. Car feels like it is breathing easier, and the engine revs better. Sounds tight too!

·
somewhere?
165 Posts
hey dj what shop did the work for you. just wondering for when i get the money

·
Banned
865 Posts
does any one know if the greddy gt cat-back work for the 97's? because I know there is an extra O2 sensor and I heard that the cat is placed differently from the 96-97 and 93-95, does anyone here have a 97?

·
13,021 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Custom catback

Havik 2K said:

I said "anybody else". That would exclude you. Just messin with ya. But that sucks man cause the guy at shop told me you couldn't get custom made stainless steel piping. Oh well.
Orlando has stainless steel mandrel bent piping also.

·
Banned
865 Posts
I just couldn't take driving the factory exhaust anymore this morning and I had a partial cat-back done at car-x for $150. They put a 2.25 alluminum pipe after the O2 sensor, so all my resonators are gone. I actually feel a power gain, which I didn' really expect, it's kinda wierd too cause I don't spin the tire from the stop but rather the tire will spin about 3ft from the stop point. But anyhow the reason I only did a partial is because if I had them do the flex pipe and replace the O2 sensor I would end up paying another 100-200, so I figure if I was going to pay that much I might as well buy a greddy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts