The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the custom cool air intake that is displayed in the aftermarket do it yourself section work? Its all rubber hoses and PVC piping. Some guy at AutoZone said it should work just as good as one you would buy, and someone else said it was a waste of time and money. Any suggestions or guidance?

·
105hp OWNS
391 Posts
I hear the same things back and forth between people, yet my car club says that the pvc piping will heat up and when this happens it really wont add anything to the car at all. Still I think it is possible that at night it might have a greater effect on actual hp gain.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have the ghetto one for now and its better than just a WAI but Im sure the PRI CAI works better cause the air flows smoother.Just save up 2 bills and get the real one

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
What you should do is build the basic shape of the piping that you need with PVC. Then take that to an exhaust shop that does mandrel bends and get them to bend you a pipe with the same shape. Spray coat the pipe with high temp thermal paint and you'll be all set. 1) the mandrel bent pipe is smoother than all bends that PVC's have = smoother turbulence free air flow 2) with the high temp paint, the pipe won't heat up as fast

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if i took it there would it be a lot of $$$$$, it sounds like a good idea, but if its like 100 bucks, im beter off just buyin a new one for 200 dont you guys think?

·
105hp OWNS
391 Posts
Damn Michael you are the man, that is the best idea I have ever heard, maybe ill do that!!!

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
I doubt PVC transfers heat as well as aluminum. There's a reason they make pots, pans, and CPU heatsinks out of aluminum, you know.
But I agree, there's no way to get the PVC to do smooth bends and curves.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not really getting a consencus, should I save up and buy or should I try out the PVC?????? How much of a difference did you guyd see when you installed the intake. My buddy said his car flies now

·
My car is an automatic.
1,070 Posts
No intake will make your car "fly" or add 20 HP. Its mostly a mental thing. At most with the intake alone you'll gain 2-3 HP and a deeper sound. If you want to fully utilize the potential of the intake you will need a mandrel bent catback exhaust and a header. WAI is good all year round, CAI you will lose bottom end and gain some top end, plus you gotta worry about rain...Try the WAI out first, if you don't like it make the PVC extension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts