The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I might find CSI (customer satisfaction index) data on regional Nissan dealerships? I would like to know if my trouble ordering an Altima in the configuration i want may stem from a poor CSI at the dealership I am using. Thanks:confused:

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
I know the frustration of getting the car you want. I would, however, think it wouldn't be worth my time continuing business from a dealer that is more frustrating than helpful. For all I know about CSI indexes is it does more to give bonuses to high ranking dealerships and more of a slap on the hand with low ranking ones - just from my understanding.

Getting the exact car you want requires two important factors - persistence and patience. If you want to do it another way where you don't have to walk into every dealership in the area AND let these guys work for you to get your car, then go to www.fightingchance.com and read about how this works.

As much as my wife was stern about everything she wanted with her Altima she stuck with her demands and the dealership that wanted the business bent over backwards to get EXACTLY the car she wants. Dealers trade inventory ALL of the time. It takes some work and some time on their part but it depends on who wants your hard-earned money. The dealership you are describing sounds like they are bent on getting you to take a car of their current inventory. DON'T DO IT!!! Go to another dealership and tell them you are ready to buy NOW if they have what your are looking for.
Better yet, follow the strategy outlined in the website above and you will not only get what you want, but save a ton of money as well.

Then when your happy with your new car you can reward the dealership with a favorable CSI index rating and have no buyer's remorse.
;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey tsplano:

Just wondering what kind of deal you got with fightingchance.com because there are plenty of people who got pretty good deals on their own.

Krooked8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice.

I talked to Nissan, and the only car in the region that met my criteria was located in Portland, Maine (I'm in Connecticut) and Nissan said that the dealer in Maine was not thrilled to give up the vehicle (not too many 3.5 5 spds up that way) especially as it is an introductory level 3.5, with abs as the only option) and he may be using it as a lure to entice someone into a 3.5 (because of the lower price point) and then goes for the kill by pushing sunroof, bose, etc.

As it is, the deal I got was $22,350 with spoiler, splash guards, mats, and ABS, so I'm not going to get a much better deal. plus, the dealer is 10 minutes from my house, which is worth a lot given this is a first year production car. I'm willing to give the guy a chance before I move on. I have realized too late that the car I want (with the features I want) is not in large supply. Patience is not my strong suit, but there's very little I can do at this point.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you found a car anywhere in the country with 3.5L, ABS and manual transmission ONLY, you need to get that car today!

They seem to be pairing ABS with loaded out cars. SO.....

Since a few people on here have been searching for that very car and cannot find it, I think that is your opportunity knocking!

·
Registered
884 Posts
PS- A dealer here told me that they may even pay for the one way ticket of someone coming from out of town if they were going to buy a car.

I suggest you call the fleet/internet sales manager and work a deal on that car over the phone and then go get it and drive it home!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dealer is in its monthly inventory "look thru" window today and tomorrow, so I will know by the end of the week if they can get my car from the factory. If not, then I guess I'm going to try to go to Maine.

i suppose the trip home would go a long way towards breaking in the engine!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Re: ROAD TRIP

krooked8 said:
If they got a black one w/ABS, leather, Bose, & cold pkg I'll ride up with you.
Hey Krooked8! Sounds like you should jump on the phone and reserve this ride. It sounds to me like he's going to miss out on it. And like I said, get the dealer to purchase a bus ticket for you and then ride up there on greyhound and come back in style!

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
My MSRP was $29081 (loaded with everything except cold package) and lowest offer was $27000 (about $700 over invoice) which is what I got it for. I even had the after market wood trim, tinted windows, and soonroof visor as part of the deal. The lowest offer I got was $100 over invoice, but the salesman got cold feet.

I'm sure others may have gotten better deals on their own but the factor here to consider is being non-flexible about what you want. Dealers are more willing to work with you if you can take a car off their lot as they are dealing against sales quotas, interest on the loan to purchase their inventory, and other general costs on keeping an inventory on the lot. I'm sure if my wife would take the the Pewter colored 3.5SE with everything else plus the butt-ugly stock wood trim (just my opinion) that was on the lot at the time we would have gotten it at inventory and the dealership keeps holdback. Another thing to consider is timing. We got ours in November just when the public started hearing more about recession and unemployment.

Heck, most folks don't know you can actually buy a car for less than what the salesman tells you - and thats why folks need to go check out fightingchance.com

shoeless - Wow! over $1k under invoice! Thats a pretty damn good deal you're getting. Did you negotiate it in person?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tsplano,

i negotiated between two local dealers, working them back and forth, getting a lower and lower quote each time. It is not under invoice, however. It came to something like $17 over invoice.

2002 altima,

As far as the concern that Nissan is not making an ABS/5 speed 3.5 combo anymore, the customer service agent at nissan said that is not true, but that most of these abs/5 speed combos have all the other stuff (bose, sunroof, etc) that I don't want.

And don't encourage krooked8! The last thing I need is a bidding war on the car I tracked down. Besides, he wanted a black one. The one in Maine is silver.;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's not a manual but here is what I negociated on 12/29/01 and picked up on 1/2/02:

Black 3.5 SE Automatic, with ABS, Traction Control, Airbags all around. The dealer had it in stock and it was pretty much what our budget could afford.

Sticker $24,565
Invoice $22,594
Purchase price $22,894

$300 over invoice. The more I hear about the lack of ABS cars the happier I am that I got one, and a 3.5 to boot. I LOVE THIS CAR! I also squashed the dealer prep charge of $349. Told the salesman that was a joke and he took it right off.

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
shoeless,

Good luck to you! I'm sure there is a Altima out there with exactly what you want - you just may indeed have to travel to get it. We did.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey! tsPlano..

Watch the Texas forum to find out when we are having another get together. We have had two and I have been the only 2002 Altima there. Usually have one in Richardson or Grapevine. Will probably happen again soon!

·
Registered
119 Posts
2002Altima said:
Well, there you go Krooked8!! It's not the car you want, so BACK OFF!!! :D
Too late, I already booked my flight, I land at Portland International Airport at 11:38 AM tomorrow, sorry shoeless, thanks for finding it for me though, I'll let you sit in it when i get back. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Are you serious?

I thought you wanted black with leather?

I truly hope you are joking. I posted this info to share with people how they might go about finding the car they want. I say that I will wait until Friday to determine if my dealer can come through for me and no sooner do i do this than i have you book a flight to Portland to get the car I hunted down.

I edited my original post because the more i thought about it, the more shitty this whole thing sounds. We come to this board to share info, not to stab people in the back. If you were joking, please forgive my rant. If not, then I guess I now know the kind of person you are.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts