The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
-L-
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed out my shifter for an automatic 95 gxe, its a universal shifter and doesn't have a place for the OD button so I decided I could do without it so i just cut it. Can this cause any problems serious or little? I don't to much highway driving either mostly stay in the city so i never have used the OD button. But please tell me if it will cause problems so i can hook it back up immedatley if it does. Thnx.

·
-L-
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know relocating the button is an option. But I'm wondering if any damage possibly can come from not rewiring the button back just leaving in unconnected. Cause id rather leave it disconnected if i can if it doesnt do any damage. And if it can do damage to my car what could it possibly do?

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
As long as it stays in overdrive, which it should, there would not be any problems.

·
belongs -> @ltimas.net
428 Posts
^^^
if the wire is cut, should it mean that OD is off??

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
It sounds like he cut it with it not in o/d. Your just gonna put more wear and tear on the engine+tranny. I would obviously take the 30 seconds to relocate the button......

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
Yea, if it is not in o/d, your gonna end up with some long term problems, i.e.-premature engine failure.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Lookin good Scooter. That kit looks 110% better with paint on it;)

·
belongs -> @ltimas.net
428 Posts
it's like any electric appliances, if it's not connected
it IS off
am i rite??

whether or not OD is a good thing to use IMO
i dunno but i won't leave it disconnected

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
brazil5376 said:
What kind of pathetic post was that? Tryin to get that post count up huh....dumb newb:flip:

·
-L-
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No It stays in overdrive. Its weird you press the button tot urn it off when the car starts its in overdrive. So no it doesnt stay in high RPM's or anything so, if its not in overdrive then it can't really cause any problems. I've like quadrouple checked to see if it would turn the O/D off but ti doesnt

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
shermanleesm said:
it's like any electric appliances, if it's not connected
it IS off
am i rite??

whether or not OD is a good thing to use IMO
i dunno but i won't leave it disconnected
No, you can't assume that since there is no way of telling how it's wired. It could be triggering a relay in which it turns it on or off, or it could be using logic circuits, etc... This is true for any kind of switch in your car.

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
L The Dynasty said:
No It stays in overdrive. Its weird you press the button tot urn it off when the car starts its in overdrive. So no it doesnt stay in high RPM's or anything so, if its not in overdrive then it can't really cause any problems. I've like quadrouple checked to see if it would turn the O/D off but ti doesnt
You're right, cutting the wire will keep the OD on hence you won't have any problems. I just confirmed this with the FSM. No continuity=O.D. on.

·
-L-
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thnx. I wasnt sure if i should cut the O/D wire when i changed out my shifter. Because I went to schuck's and stuff and obviously those people aren't very smart seeing as how most of them told me not to because it can do electric damage to my engine and it's cpu. So I was hectic at first but I did it anyways. So its good to know that It wont mess anything up. Thnx.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Want he be able to tell if its off or on by the light on the dash. Lights off, good thing. Lights on, not so good. Is this right or am I off on this one? I actully would like to know for myself also. Thanks

·
Resident drunken chef!
2,524 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Jaltima, It has paint on it, but I wracked it before I got a chance to take pics. :( . O'well, I just went and saw it last night, it is done agin with iBi 2 front molded on, I pick it up monday!

·
Registered
151 Posts
coach said:
what if the light burns out harvdigga?

I fill you on that one coach. I just got the right knob from SWA with the OD botton on it witch I say thats what anyone should do in the first place but it was just a thought. I really just wanted to make sure that I was right about the light thing, it being off with the light. I figured it was because I"m sure alot of people would get annoyed with the light blasting on the dash

1 - 20 of 20 Posts