The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've done my research and my fair share of searching this forum before posting. It's just that allot of people getting whole CV axle repairs are getting them done with Chinese parts. Raxles tells me they get offers all the time from Chinese shippers wanting to sell these wholesale for 11 bucks an axle. Blows my mind; the markup is just incredible.

Anyway, Nissan (mine) has a genuine part for 200 bucks and a boot for 41. All my local shops want between 200 and 250+ for either service. My concern is the number of members that wrote back about having vibrations or leaking after a whole CV axle replacements. I don't care about parts warranty because that does nothing for labor charges to re-do something that in my mind should be fixed the first time. I don't have any crunching noises yet. I'm thinking of just trying to repack the CV joint and fix the outer boot on the OEM part. One member recommended this over full replacement. I'm just really concerned about the quality of the replacement part. Any thoughts on this? I need to make a decision.

·
registered owner
274 Posts
$200 for an axle from the dealer seems like a good deal. I recall they were $400+ when I was pricing.

I had my OEM CV axle rebuilt last year for $90. No problems to date.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/20...416746-cv-axle-recommedation.html#post5083754

If you could be without the car for a week you could ship to Raxles or Axles Unlimited and have them rebuild. Save the labor by removing and installing on separate afternoons with a friend. Shipping to Charlotte UPS ground would probably be overnight.

Or you could drive up early Saturday morning, AU could remove, rebuild, and install while you wait. Don't want to wait in the shop? Take an Uber to the Southend and catch a pint at one of the breweries...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the entire part + replacement at my Nissan is 400+. The part by itself is 200. The other places I quoted for the part + labor. Some shops don't even repack boots anymore and most of the shops want to replace the whole axle over doing just the boot. They'll actually kinda "get in your face" about trying to rebuild. Other's just price the two services so close pricewise that you're made to feel pretty stupid to stick to your guns about rebuilding. Raxles actually told me they didn't do Nissans anymore, although I didn't directly ask about rebuilding it. Charlotte is maybe 4 hours away from me.. wondering if it's worth it. Is Raxles in the same city?

·
Registered
202 Posts
You are lucky. Only OE axles I can find are upper $400 to lower $500 online. I'm guessing you have a 2.5L manual transmission? I'm one of the ones having the vibrations and have had everything checked. I'm still driving on my original axle that is starting to clunk and clank around. Don't have another vehicle to ship this axle off and not willing to risk damaging the differential with a Chinese vibrating axle....

·
registered owner
274 Posts
Raxles is out of Florida.

Contacting Raxles - Raxles Inc.

Tough call. I understand a shop's desire to want to replace/rebuild rather than simply repack. It's not a big repair bill ($400), but could get expensive for the shop if there are complications with the less expensive boot replacement option.

JR is having the vibration problem which seems to be a common complaint after a CV axle replacement/servicing.

It's less risky for the the shop to replace the full half-shaft with a quality part than repack a boot and there be a mechanical problem with the joint that was missed. Then the shop is on the hook.

I was fortunate to have Axles Unlimited in town. They have a good reputation and the rebuilt axle has been flawless.

$400 dollars is no pittance, but if you had to do it local I would take it to the dealership. You'll get a good repair and if there are vibrations later they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Jrdoyl00, I have a 3.5.

Otterpop, Can you tell me how bad off was your CV joint at the time you had it rebuilt by Axles unlimited?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just replaced the boots on my CV joints as there really isn't much to them.

I used to be plant manager at a company that re-manufactured torque convertors. One day the owner stopped by for a meeting, with one of our core suppliers. We were thinking about getting into re-manufacturing cv axles.

The core guy told us the machine to do the refinishing on the bearings was over $100k, BUT we could just clean/reboot/repack grease, and sell them as re-furbished which is the way ALL autoparts axles are sold.

So, unless your boot is torn, letting in dust which kills the bearings, I would just buy some new boots, and re-pack them with grease. NOTE: YOU MUST USE CV AXLE GREASE NOT WHEEL BEARING GREASE. When you take the old boot off you will see what I'm saying in that there just isn't much to them. Problem is that lots of people keep on driving with torn boots until all of the grease is gone, and kill the bearings.

Also, buy the whole boot NOT the quick fix split boot as the quick fix are the boots you hear about that leak.

Get some carb cleaner, or brake cleaner, and spray on the joint until all of the old grease is off.

Put the whole tube of grease that comes with the boot into the joint. Also be SURE to put the boot over the joint before you do this, ask me why.

Last, save yourself a lot of trouble, and just use some quality, large wire ties to hold the boot in place instead of the metal straps in the kit. I promise you will thank me for that info if you decide to put the boots on, as try as I might I just couldn't get the metal straps tight enough vs the wire ties.

I have heard of people using large hose clamps to hold the boot in place. Your call.

·
registered owner
274 Posts
No Jrdoyl00, I have a 3.5.

Otterpop, Can you tell me how bad off was your CV joint at the time you had it rebuilt by Axles unlimited?
Mine was completely hosed. The joint had separated and collapsed like a bad NFL injury. The car was undriveable.

If your axle is still performing and it's only the boot that is need of repair you have some time to consider your options. I like M's advice.

Of all the wrenching one could do on their car, changing out the CV axle is not trivial but one of the easier repairs. You'll need a good floor jack and stands, but it's a straight forward endeavor. Budget a couple hours to get it out and twenty minutes to reinstall.

Then you have lots of choices. You could do the boot work yourself. Maybe invite M-train over. He flys Southwest.

Take the shaft to a shop and have them reboot and grease.

Buy a junk axle that's functional and install. Send your OE axle off to be rebuilt. Then remove the junk one and install your rebuilt axle. Pay it forward with the junk axle to the next 3rd gen owner in your predicament.

It's the labor part that's difficult to workaround. Plus the downtime while the car is on jacks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, as the thread starter here I'd just like throw an end-cap on this if I can. Any lady will let you know, it's important to follow-through. So, it's been ..interesting. I'm quite the researcher when I want to be. Oterpop/Otterpop/Odorpop/Otterpoop? What IS your handle sir?
I remember those, but it's spelled with 2 T's :p. Anyway, whatever you go by, you were critical to my success in this sh*t event of my life.

I spoke with the owner and several other fellas over there, before I sucked it up and made the 4 hour drive.. twice. Yeah, that's right -they don't have Saturday hours while they are expanding their garage. The place was closed when I made the call, so I referenced a few internet sites and at least 2 said they were open. Strangely enough Axles Unlimited's own site doesn't have any hours listed. Luckily my wife loves IKEA and I made a trip there both times.

Anyway, when I got to the place the second visit. I stated what problems I knew of and came with twice the budget I expected to pay. Unfortunately, both boots were shot instead just the 1. Two Engine mounts were toast also which added weight onto the CV axles when I accelerated, the valve covers are seeping oil and the power steering lines high and low pressure were on their way out. Just to handle the motor mounts and rebuild the CV joints was easily double what I had prepared for (I almost turned white, lol). I haggled a bit, but I only got maybe 20 bucks off and he threw in the low pressure line fix.

It took almost the whole working hours for them to do the work, but here's the takeaway from this: 1) Axles Unlimited know what the hell they're doing -that guy pointed out every problem I had in about 10 minutes and showed me where things were leaking from (they also seem to do more than axles). Where I live, mechanics are all the same, they cut corners on parts quality and they try to replace as much as possible to cover over their lack of insight into the nature of the problem. 2) When they finished, even though I didn't have the money for the valve cover job or the power steering high pressure line. The car felt really smooth -in other words everything they did do was successful. 3) They were cheaper than local places in my city. After I was told what was wrong I used a few numbers stored in my phone to check prices. AU wanted around $200 for the front motor mount. I felt it was a ridiculous price. I called the best shop I knew of in Charleston and the guy quoted me close to $600 for the same job. Both were with OEM parts, it's just I was 400 miles away and paying less money for more knowledgeable mechanics. I thought of Christmas, I tell ya the whole thing was enough to make a grown man cry, lol. But when I got the guy in Charleston's price there wasn't much I could do but go forward with this. I had gone to many of these shops and tried to figure out what was wrong, but I only got general answers and shrugs. I do what work I'm able but I'm a computer tech not a mechanic. It's frustrating trying to find somebody that knows cars, like I know computers. I sure wish some of you DIYer's in here lived in SC. I would gladly pay in beers. They want about $400 for the valve covers and close to $200 for the high pressure line. I paid about $800 for the 2 CVJ rebuilds + 2 motor mounts and the low pressure line for the PS, argh. I'm so tapped out.. oh yeah, "Merry Christmas and all that" *big fake smile*.. ahem

Anyway "Mr. Pop" I greatly appreciate a good lead. Anybody want to be my hero and come help me with the rest of these problems? haha
An onsite tech isn't too impressive without a reliable way to get onsite. Hopefully this info will prove helpful to other NissanClub members that want to try the place out.
Just having a number to give that guy I'm sure it helped that much more keep him honest. Teamwork, yay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts