The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shift_in the Z
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i checked underneath my car the other day and found out that my CV boots were completely off! that i guess goes with the poping that i hear sometimes when i turn the wheel...but its only sometimes and only from the right wheel...i know this sounds like a $500 new axle or whatever they have to change job, but is there another way? and im getting rid of the car for a Maxima in 2 years so is it worth the dough?

·
Shift_in the Z
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i went to get an estimate on just the boots at some Goodyear place and they said that just the rubber boots with install were $299....is someone trying to fark me over?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
you can get new reman axles at auto zone (plus $50 or so core charge) for about $150 if I remember right. Take your old one back in, and they give you the core back. I would do this, then take them somewhere and have them replaced. It's cheaper AND better than just redoing the boot. The boot itself costs about $30 and yes, there is a ton of labor involved and you pretty much have to remove the axle anyway to get to the boots, so....'nuff said? :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
here goes
replacing the axle is at most an hour job
take off the tire,rotor, big nut at the end of axle, ball joint nut..... pry the ball joint out of socket move the wheel assembly out of the way and pry the axle out of the tranny.... put new one n and reverse steps...look in manual to find the torque for ball joint...for axle nut tighten as far as you can and put a new cotter pin in...
EASY

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
babysuncle said:
here goes
replacing the axle is at most an hour job
take off the tire,rotor, big nut at the end of axle, ball joint nut..... pry the ball joint out of socket move the wheel assembly out of the way and pry the axle out of the tranny.... put new one n and reverse steps...look in manual to find the torque for ball joint...for axle nut tighten as far as you can and put a new cotter pin in...
EASY
Exactly. Changing the boot, however, takes twice as long and you STILL have to remove the friggin axle to be able to do a decent job.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
l0rdinfamousxx said:
i paid 59.99 each boot with core at hi low and me and my bro in law did the job ourselves eazy job
problem is, his boots are GONE, not just cracked, and his joints in the axles are probably toast.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
babysuncle said:
pry the ball joint out of
aww heck!!! pry it out? I got the nut off and couldn't figure out how to separate the parts. I didn't try prying it apart. I'm an idiot. Instead, I busted off the 2 lower strut mount nuts/bolts and swung the assembly downward.
Boot costed me $9+tax. Took 2hr max cuz I couldn't figure out the ball joint thingy. If I did it my way, probably woulda taken 1hr. Have fun separating the joint from the axle. It's do-able, but you gotta be creative.
So figure, $50-75 to change a boot.
I priced an axle at $80. Again, it's only 1hr work, so don't pay more than $200 to get the axles changed.
I would change the axle myself. It's easy and you only need basic tools and a 36mm socket and those clips (somebody knows what they're called)
Jae

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
exactly. Don't replace the axles just rebuilt them. I did it just last week. I payed 100$ for one side rebuilt and replaced it myself. Took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
how do you rebuild axles? If the joints got dirty and bearings pitted, I don't see how you can smooth out the bearings.
Jae

·
Registered
177 Posts
definition of rebuilding

to rebuild an axle you need to get two pairs of snap ring pliers (avail at sears for about $6-10).one thea tompresses and one that expands
take the axle out...cut the two metal clips that hold the boot on....look into the large barrell and locate a ring inside around the edge...use pliers and take it out...take out all the balls and the cage and the other ring in the center..
wash all parts with parts cleanser
put the boot on the shaft
put the parts back in and pack the barrell with grease....work it around
then snap the outer ring back in and slide the boot over the barrell and fasten with provided clips

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I don't think you did anything about the pitting found on bearings and race.
Jae

1 - 16 of 16 Posts