The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my 2013 Altima CVT fluid serviced by the dealer at 55K miles seven months ago, and I just noticed that the cap to the CVT pipe is missing (where the dipstick used to be on previous models). Is this going to cause long term problems with my CVT? I've been driving around with the pipe open for seven months!

I'm taking the car in to the dealer tomorrow to discuss this problem, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about this issue before I go. Thanks.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,959 Posts
Incompetent ass hats...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would insist (if dealer accepts that they did it) another drain and refill, since there is a chance that the fluid has been contaminated with moisture and other particulate matters (dust etc).

But to make you feel better, If it was going to cause any noticeable issue, it would have done so by now! The filter in transmission is there to filter any particulate matters. I’d only worry about moisture. If your area has had a rainy winter season, moisture IS your top concern.

If dealer doesn’t take responsibility, order CVT fluid and a cap and plan to drain and refill the CVT fluid yourself.

It is cheaper, you know it’s done right, and it help’s your CVT last longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hey...it's a 2013 Altima with about 60K. CVT is on borrowed time as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would insist (if dealer accepts that they did it) another drain and refill, since there is a chance that the fluid has been contaminated with moisture and other particulate matters (dust etc).

But to make you feel better, If it was going to cause any noticeable issue, it would have done so by now! The filter in transmission is there to filter any particulate matters. I’d only worry about moisture. If your area has had a rainy winter season, moisture IS your top concern.

If dealer doesn’t take responsibility, order CVT fluid and a cap and plan to drain and refill the CVT fluid yourself.

It is cheaper, you know it’s done right, and it help’s your CVT last longer.

Thanks, that's good to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can confirm that our CVTs have the bottom screen filter and also a paper filter for finer particles. I would recommend replacing both while you’re at it. Let me know if you need help with those part numbers. I did a flush/refill at 90k and replaced those filters plus the fluid pan gasket. My CVT is going strong at 140k, now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can confirm that our CVTs have the bottom screen filter and also a paper filter for finer particles. I would recommend replacing both while you’re at it. Let me know if you need help with those part numbers. I did a flush/refill at 90k and replaced those filters plus the fluid pan gasket. My CVT is going strong at 140k, now.
That’s good to know!
In doing my homework for now and preparing for a CVT fluid drain/refill soon. Though I’m having a 2019 Rogue, not sure of i have two filters too!
Need to research that!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I had my 2013 Altima CVT fluid serviced by the dealer at 55K miles seven months ago, and I just noticed that the cap to the CVT pipe is missing (where the dipstick used to be on previous models). Is this going to cause long term problems with my CVT? I've been driving around with the pipe open for seven months!

I'm taking the car in to the dealer tomorrow to discuss this problem, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about this issue before I go. Thanks.
Thanks for coming back to let us know what you found out when you returned to the dealer 5 days ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts