The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
DIY Newbie
22 Posts
if your car has a cvt, how many miles have you gone and have you had to get your cvt fixed?
Just rolled over 105k on my 2011 Altima Hybrid. No fixes needed. To be honest you should not need any repairs sub-200k on a transmission that was serviced properly. As in changing the fluid on intervals recommended in your owners' manual. Shifts great like when we first bought it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
72,000mi (115,000km) on my '08, less than a lot of people but I do drive it hard in short bursts in manual mode, no issues yet lol. The key is to not let these transmissions get too hot or failure will occur much quicker, I think being in Canada and cooler climate helps a bit but cold weather can be bad too, so I let my car (CVT) warm up before I drive. They have extended warranties but only the earlier versions and im not certain on the numbers for that, you would have to search this site.

·
Registered
591 Posts
07-10 altimas had the warranty extension for 10years/120 miles, where as the 11-12 altimas and the '13 altima coupes went back down the 5year/60 miles powertrain warranty. replacing a cvt was usually a failure off a solenoid pressure failure in the valve body or a slipping cvt belt due to overheating. cvt replacement usually happens at the dealer since it involves having the new/reman cvt programmed, not a cheap job. get your cvt fluid changed out during it's intervals and you'll prevent this from happening for the most part since cvt/transfluid doesnt last forever

·
Boland01
123 Posts
Have 123K on ours. I've changed the NS-2 fluid twice and installed an additional cooler about 70K ago. Have never had an issue since even in the south Texas heat. Before I installed the cooler it did go into safe mode twice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have 123K on ours. I've changed the NS-2 fluid twice and installed an additional cooler about 70K ago. Have never had an issue since even in the south Texas heat. Before I installed the cooler it did go into safe mode twice.
thanks for the reply. I am considering getting a cvt cooler.. around how much can I expect this to cost to have the dealer install one ?

·
Boland01
123 Posts
No idea. I bought an aftermarket unit off of ebay and added it myself. If anything I would have an independent garage do it before the dealership. It is a very easy DIY and there are several write ups on how people have done it in the past.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The CVT went out on my 2008 2.5 SL at 60K miles. Replaced by Nissan under warranty. Fluid had been changed by dealer at 36K miles.

I'm at 110K miles now - no CVT problems since it was replaced. Fluid changed again at approx 95K miles.

Car has lived its entire life in Minnesota (for the hot temp theorists).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I read that some people have gone to dealership to get their transmission fluid change , and the dealership would tell them to never get the cvt fluid changed. Others say every 30k miles. Does everyone generally change it? and is it usually every 30k?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I read that some people have gone to dealership to get their transmission fluid change , and the dealership would tell them to never get the cvt fluid changed. Others say every 30k miles. Does everyone generally change it? and is it usually every 30k?
sadly dealers do say that... sigh..but trans fluid/rear diff/front diff fluids are usually changed out every 30k.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sadly dealers do say that... sigh..but trans fluid/rear diff/front diff fluids are usually changed out every 30k.
thank you Wong. I bought my '12 Altima last month at 38k . didn't think to ask if the cvt fluid had been changed . is it easy to check at home if your cvt fluid needs changed ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am curious , did you do transmission fluid change every 30k miles? 60k?
60,000 just as the owner's manual says.

My local dealer has no aversion to changing the fluid, and loves to have the owner pay the bill. They even suggest doing it more often than the manual recommends.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a '12 Altima. about 40k. plan on changing it for the first time at 60k. I too am curious, how can I check if the cvt fluid is dirty or needs changed ?

·
Registered
591 Posts
thank you Wong. I bought my '12 Altima last month at 38k . didn't think to ask if the cvt fluid had been changed . is it easy to check at home if your cvt fluid needs changed ?
I have a '12 Altima. about 40k. plan on changing it for the first time at 60k. I too am curious, how can I check if the cvt fluid is dirty or needs changed ?
the only way to check for cvt fluid wear on the '12 altima is only by smell, discoloration is not an indication, pull out the trans dipstick and sniff the fluid and if it smells any slight burntness, change it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts